Car advice / info needed

onenil73

Goalkeeper
I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand car. Any opinions between a InfinityQ30 or a Mercedes GLA as thay share many parts and are very much the same in the cabin.
The Infinity is a 1.5 semi auto , Merc is a 2.1 manual Infinity has aprox 25000 mile less and around £4.500 cheaper.
Any opinions welcome.

I thought about an Infiniti a few years ago as I thought it was a bit different from the usual choices and as you say shared a lot of technology / parts with more mainstream brands. I was a bit concerned about resale value and scarcity of dealers so didn't go much further.
I suppose you know that Infiniti pulled out of UK? - parts and servicing may need to be considered if it's still in warranty. Also depends if you intend to keep it a while - as time moves on they could be harder to sell / trade in - but that may already be a reason for comparatively lower price?

The 1.5 in the Infinity is a Renault engine, I had it in an A-Class I once had. Very economical and for me was super reliable. I did 110k in it from new and it never missed a beat.

The 2.1 manual is a Merc engine so will also be reliable but also has a lot more power.

You need to consider what exactly it is that you want and need from the car. A semi automatic is automatic really as nobody ever uses the gears.

The poster above raises some valid points around parts supply, warranty and resale. Infinity (part of Nissan / Renault) will have put in place a strategy for service, warranty, repair and maintenance so you’ll be covered and with all parts being common across Nissan / Renault and Merc you should be safe there.

Resale will be the biggest factor but again, it’s 4.5k cheaper so may not be an issue.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand car. Any opinions between a InfinityQ30 or a Mercedes GLA as thay share many parts and are very much the same in the cabin.
The Infinity is a 1.5 semi auto , Merc is a 2.1 manual Infinity has aprox 25000 mile less and around £4.500 cheaper.
Any opinions welcome.
What is the car used for?
How many miles per year?
How many people usually in the car?
Do you indicate regularly?
Big or small penis?
Budget for purchase and running costs?

What age are they?

For all reasons previously mentioned, the Merc is a safer bet I would have thought.

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts lads
Just retired so will only be using car for day to day running around with me and the wife and occasional grand kids,fishing trips and holidays
I intend to keep car for a good few year so resale not a issue.
Both cars are on 67 plates , I'm guessing 8000 miles a year with regular indicating when stoping and turning.
Penis large enough.
Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts lads
Just retired so will only be using car for day to day running around with me and the wife and occasional grand kids,fishing trips and holidays
I intend to keep car for a good few year so resale not a issue.
Both cars are on 67 plates , I'm guessing 8000 miles a year with regular indicating when stoping and turning.
Penis large enough.
Cheers
1-2 grandkids = Ford Focus
3+ grandkids = S Max or zafira/meriva.

Or buy a fiesta and hire/borrow a bigger car when necessary.

Last edited:
Had a GLA a couple of years ago. Automatic, but you could flip it over to "manual" if you wanted. I liked it, but I did find the inside a little cramped to be honest. Up front the windscreen had a fairly low sweep to it, so it looked cool from outside (the magno finish helped!) but I always felt my head was very close to the ceiling when inside - I'm 6' 2". Swapped it for a Mini Countryman - outside dimensions are almost identical, but it feels far roomier when driving, presumably because the windscreen isn't as sloped. In terms of power it was decent but I didn't feel like it was particularly nimble or responsive - more of a build up gently on the open road, great for the highway. For urban driving I find that the Mini knocks spots off it in "sport" mode for getting away at lights, intersections, etc. I've had 3 cars with my kids (Subaru Outback, GLA, Countryman) and it was their least favorite of the 3, not that you want to be taking the advice of a 14-year-old and an 11-year-old on this important matter :lol: .

Posted in here to avoid starting another car thread. What's the best place to get a windscreen sorted? Seen the national ones online, Autoglass and that, but was wondering if anyone has experience of using a local (NE) company?

Seen a car I fancy but there's a deep scratch in the windscreen. Dealer has given a price for repair from Ford but suggested putting it through my insurance. Don't really want to do that because it's not my problem.

Posted in here to avoid starting another car thread. What's the best place to get a windscreen sorted? Seen the national ones online, Autoglass and that, but was wondering if anyone has experience of using a local (NE) company?

Seen a car I fancy but there's a deep scratch in the windscreen. Dealer has given a price for repair from Ford but suggested putting it through my insurance. Don't really want to do that because it's not my problem.
I wouldn’t buy it if he’s not willing to repair it. Where is the scratch? If it’s in the swept area then it’s likely an MOT fail.

I’ll dig out some local companies but there are a few.

I wouldn’t buy it if he’s not willing to repair it. Where is the scratch? If it’s in the swept area then it’s likely an MOT fail.

I’ll dig out some local companies but there are a few.
Aye it would no doubt fail, looks like something has caught in the wiper and been left to scratch the glass right in the driver's view for 100 years.

Nice car for a decent price but the more I think about it the less I can be arsed. Price for a windscreen from Ford came in at £600+ when I got a call back just then. Before fitting. Think I'll just tell him to sort it or I'll not bother.

Aye it would no doubt fail, looks like something has caught in the wiper and been left to scratch the glass right in the driver's view for 100 years.

Nice car for a decent price but the more I think about it the less I can be arsed. Price for a windscreen from Ford came in at £600+ when I got a call back just then. Before fitting. Think I'll just tell him to sort it or I'll not bother.
Is it a dealer or a private sale? A dealer can’t sell it like that.

I wouldn’t be buying a car to have to replace the windscreen through my insurance.

I know a lad in the street got his van windscreen replaced with a local company at a fraction of the cost of the mainstream companies, Ford will probably charge stupid money.

Just phone a few up that would be my way to go.

Is it a dealer or a private sale? A dealer can’t sell it like that.
It's a dealer. Small one over Carlisle way. Aye I'm wondering if they've got such a small margin on it the cost for fixing is it too high so they're looking to make it someone else's problem.

It's a dealer. Small one over Carlisle way. Aye I'm wondering if they've got such a small margin on it the cost for fixing is it too high so they're looking to make it someone else's problem.
He’s getting in hot water selling it. Might have a valid MOT but that doesn’t make it roadworthy and if he’s willing to sell it like that god knows what else he’s happy to let slide. Statutory right state it should be free from defect.

If it’s too good to be true take a punt otherwise walk away.

I wouldn’t be buying a car to have to replace the windscreen through my insurance.

I know a lad in the street got his van windscreen replaced with a local company at a fraction of the cost of the mainstream companies, Ford will probably charge stupid money.

Just phone a few up that would be my way to go.
Yeah Ford is looking pricey. Was quite happy to ring a few up but it's like pulling names out of a hat innit, wanted to know if anyone could recommend a decent place.

Any opinions welcome.

£4500 is quite a bit to play with but take into account the future value and I did read a while back that the service costs are up to 30% higher with an Infiniti compared to Merc, BMW etc but that will have been dealer prices.
Yeah Ford is looking pricey. Was quite happy to ring a few up but it's like pulling names out of a hat innit, wanted to know if anyone could recommend a decent place.

You won’t get any cheaper than windscreen excess, think it was £90 with the last one I got done.

Can you not just buy the car and leave it as it is?

Last edited:
Any opinions welcome.

I've only had one Merc which was brilliant over 4 years ownership 95k miles. That sqid, me bro in law has a GLC which has been non stop bother.

We hired a Qx80 in the states a few yor back which was an unrefined pig embellished with bells and whistles (when I looked into it the Qx80 is built on the Nissan Navarra chassis)

When I looked at similar spec cars for the wife more recently all of the Infiniti stuff had poor engines but many bells and whistles.

I believe they've left the UK market altogether now

You won’t get any cheaper than windscreen excess, think it was £90 with the last one I got done.

Can you not just buy the car and leave it as it is?
Yeah think the excess would be about £75. There was a suggestion that could come off the price to cover it but the more I think about it the less that's a route I want to go down.

I took the car out for a drive and the scratch was no bother, but it would be due a first MOT next year. Because of where it is it's a certain fail so would need replacing before then anyway. Also, like @Goat Eyes says, regardless of official status if there's an issue like that it's not roadworthy and once I buy it it's my problem.

The price is good but not amazing and after a morning of trying to price it up in wondering why I'm bothering to make it my problem. I'm just going to tell the bloke I'll take it if he gets it sorted. Cheers lads.

Back