Captains armband

It would be interesting to find out where and why the captains armband originated from. Probably something First World War or something.

When or who started the captain's armband tradition in football? The first international match that was played between England and Scotland in 1872- the two captains for these teams were Robert Gardner for Scotland and Cuthbard Ottoway for England.

Captains only real duty is to represent his team for coin tossing for start of a game or penalty shootout

A captain still plays an additional role in a match. If the ref wants to talk to a player the only other player who can be present if the captain.

A good captain can use this opportunity to get a player off with a caution sometimes, less so a red with VAR in the PL.
Only to the twisty cry babies who think a piece of fabric round an arm changes a player
Listened to an interview on RR over the weekend (think it was some lad from Sky who is a MLF) and he was saying that Cattermole should have been given the armband last year as he's a natural leader etc etc

The thing is, the armband made no difference to Cattermole as a player or a person. He was exactly the same on and off the pitch whether he was the "official captain" or not.
If you are a leader, you lead people regardless of whether you have an armband IMHO
If I remember correctly it was Big Sam who said he didn’t want Cattermole to have it cause he would still be a leader. That way he had 2 captains.

Last edited:
Agree with this 100%. I have run Sunday league sides for nearly 15 years on and off and I never used to have a captain, I couldn't see the point? It basically gave one player the impression that they were now safe from being dropped. All they do is go up for the coin toss anyway in Sunday League
I used to give it to the player I couldn't be arsed to have around the team talk, so he went off to the coin toss while actually sorted out the team.
He used to just come out with every cliche going and it did my nut in.

I used to give it to the player I couldn't be arsed to have around the team talk, so he went off to the coin toss while actually sorted out the team.
He used to just come out with every cliche going and it did my nut in.
It's just an ego massage so he can impress his mates who probably could not give a shiny shite

Back