Captains armband

I once wore one and got a chuffy on. Are captains really that important.
Only to the twisty cry babies who think a piece of fabric round an arm changes a player
Listened to an interview on RR over the weekend (think it was some lad from Sky who is a MLF) and he was saying that Cattermole should have been given the armband last year as he's a natural leader etc etc

The thing is, the armband made no difference to Cattermole as a player or a person. He was exactly the same on and off the pitch whether he was the "official captain" or not.
If you are a leader, you lead people regardless of whether you have an armband IMHO

Leadbitter to continue as captain..? or will Parkinson see leadership in one of the other players..O'Nien maybe....

Only to the twisty cry babies who think a piece of fabric round an arm changes a player
Listened to an interview on RR over the weekend (think it was some lad from Sky who is a MLF) and he was saying that Cattermole should have been given the armband last year as he's a natural leader etc etc

The thing is, the armband made no difference to Cattermole as a player or a person. He was exactly the same on and off the pitch whether he was the "official captain" or not.
If you are a leader, you lead people regardless of whether you have an armband IMHO

Agree with this 100%. I have run Sunday league sides for nearly 15 years on and off and I never used to have a captain, I couldn't see the point? It basically gave one player the impression that they were now safe from being dropped. All they do is go up for the coin toss anyway in Sunday League

I think all the best teams have a strong captain who can direct how the team plays and how to react to what the oppo does. Think Bobby Moore, beckenbauer, cruyff, more recently deschamps on the international stage, tony Adams Roy keane in the premier and the likes of bobby Kerr, Bally, Brace for us. Not a vital as cricket or rugby but can be important..

Think it comes with off field work, more media/charity/corporate hospitality duties, greet new players/organise the Christmas party, represent the players in negotiations with the club (bonus and disputes). Get a bit of extra money for the work

Armband means jack shit, England puts a ridiculous amount of importance on it but when you look at the best teams in the world they've just always given it to their best player irrespective of how good a leader they are

20+ years ago the manager of my Sunday league team pulled me to one side and told me he was making another lad captain ahead of me. He reckoned the armband wouldn’t change my game or how I lead but he thought it would get an extra 10% out of the other lad.

I’m still bitter about it like.

Very true, I'm a Nazi at work and at home, it's just who you are. I like badges of rank as well, so I'd probably covet the armband, but like it or not it does come with responsibility.

Back