Canon Powershot G12

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonkeyScabs

Winger
Anyone use one of these? They look the dogs bollox!

Oh sorry, this should maybe be in the photography forum

Last edited:

Photoboard this shite

Yeah the G range are great, if a little expensive. I'd much rather carry one of these around than a shitty low-end Canon SLR to be honest

Photoboard this shite

Yeah the G range are great, if a little expensive. I'd much rather carry one of these around than a shitty low-end Canon SLR to be honest

Really, even the EOS 1000D has, larger sensor, significantly better image quality, TTL viewfinder, much better high ISO performance, interchangeable lenses and better colour depth. The G12 may be easier to carry around but really can't compare in most other areas.

Really, even the EOS 1000D has, larger sensor, significantly better image quality, TTL viewfinder, much better high ISO performance, interchangeable lenses and better colour depth. The G12 may be easier to carry around but really can't compare in most other areas.

I already have a Nikon D90, so am not looking for another one. Amazon have the G12 for £376 now. I think worthy of serious consideration at that price.

It can certainly 'compare'. In fact image quality I thought was better than say the 450d and 500d with the crap standard lenses.

It's not always going to be as good, but that's a difference between carrying a full system and a beautifully designed point-and-shoot...

Is the Powershot G12 the best point and shoot around?

Don't think you can have a "best" tbh as it is always a compromise of one thing against another and it depends which features are the most important to you. My personal choice for a high end compact would probably be a panasonic LX5, but then it has a very limited zoom so if that was important to you - you would rule that out.

phil said:
Don't think you can have a "best" tbh as it is always a compromise of one thing against another and it depends which features are the most important to you. My personal choice for a high end compact would probably be a panasonic LX5, but then it has a very limited zoom so if that was important to you - you would rule that out.

Got to agree. There's no universal 'best'. If it works for you, then great... I tried the canon, and couldn't get away with it (and I'm heavily invested in the eos system) I tried the panasonic, and in the end went for a Sony hx5. For me it's class, for you maybe not. Go to a shop where the let you play...

All my pics are taken on the older LX3. Absolutely stunning camera, but the zoom is rubbish. Apparently the LX5 has a far better zoom. Macro mode is insane, you can literally have the end of the lens 1cm away from the subject and it focuses no problem. Battery life it superb too.

A few examples....

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

Went to Charles Eagles in Durham and had a play with the G12. It's a very solid camera (some would say 'heavy'), and was impressed with how easy it is to set the various modes on it, rather than pissing about in nested menus. It has a viewfinder too, and a fold out screen (useful). The screen can be turned back on itself to protect it when not in use. Zoom is x5 optical and up to x20 digital. Takes remarkable fully zoomed photos, even handheld, with no shake or blur. Really need to see what it's like in low light, but it's touted as being particularly good.

Last edited:
I currently have the G11 which seems very similar, both in build, looks and IMO features. I doubt anyone with a G11 would bother upgrading to be honest so it's a little dissapointing in that regard.

However that said, the G11 is a very good camera so why why fix what isn't broken :lol:

Majoy downside is the size, not really a pocketable camera (for me anyway) so my next camera is quite possibly going to be the pana lx5 - anyone got one of these?

I currently have the G11 which seems very similar,

Majoy downside is the size, not really a pocketable camera (for me anyway) so my next camera is quite possibly going to be the pana lx5 - anyone got one of these?

Just depends on how tight your trousers are I suppose. I like to give things a bit of air room these days. :-D

Is that a canon powershot g12 or are you just pleased to see me?

The Lumix LX3 is easily the best p&s I've ever used, I think image quality stands up to entry level DSLRs with kit lens.

The price seems to be dropping now the LX5 is out, going to get one I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back