Canon Eos Lesson....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaburn ftm

Central Defender
Just got an Eos 550d. Std kit lense only (so far) It really is a great bit of kit.
Never had a DSLR before and despite reading the instruction manual and guide several times I struggle to remember everything. I'm not a dumbo and have a fair technical understanding but feel I would benefit from some experienced tuition. Does anyone have a couple of hours one Sat / Sun or any evening to give me some tuition. Hearing it first hand from an experienced Canon user would help me imensley. I would be happy to travel (within reason). See my user name for my location.
Let me know if you can help. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount for someones time. Thanks.:-D

Probably the best advice imo, which is not just mine btw, is to set the camera on automatic and fire away.

Then keep reading the manual and learning more about the camera controls as you go along.

Probably the best advice imo, which is not just mine btw, is to set the camera on automatic and fire away.

Then keep reading the manual and learning more about the camera controls as you go along.

That's what I did, though tbh my learning was accelerated by shooting in Aperture priority mode ('Av' on a Canon iirc) then learning what shots look like using various Aperture sizes.

Hopefully that lad will get to meet someone, no better way to learn.

That's what I did, though tbh my learning was accelerated by shooting in Aperture priority mode ('Av' on a Canon iirc) then learning what shots look like using various Aperture sizes.

Hopefully that lad will get to meet someone, no better way to learn.

Definitely, but in the meantime...

I've an old friend who has been a photographer for years.

Started off with travel stuff when you could travel overland in safety all the way to India. Well comparative safety, then wildlife in the Himalayas.

Then when he got older shifted to commercial advertising and finally he now does portraits for fairly wealthy customers in their home. Still as skint as ever though as jobs are not that frequent.

Can't say how much advice I've picked up from him in just general chat whenever we've met.

So hopefully someone will offer some help.

Thanks all, all constructive advice. Auto is obviously easy - point and shoot like you say. It is actually quite a good way of learning though as you get to see what settings the camera chooses. Learn that, and then use and adapt it in the programming modes and that is the basis of the skill. 3 or 4 more trips out and several hours on the back door step and I will have it sussed! A little one to one tuition will save me 3 or 4 weeks of learning and deleting !!!
By the way, what a piece of kit it is. Whaever i do to mess it around it takes great shots........I will be entering November competition !!!! (if anyone ever comes and helps me) !!!

I've a Nikon so can't help ref the controls and not sure what the kit lens is but its probably a mid range zoom going from mild wideangle to mild telephoto.

Its a handy lens that covers most general photography.

You get what they call greater "depth of field" at the wide angle end compared to the telephoto end which means you have more depth of good focus throughout the scene.

So use the telephoto for portraits (head and shoulders) as the smaller depth of field at the telephoto end is a good effect with just the subject in good focus. Focus on the eye of the subject.

Its probably worth getting a flashgun or speedlight for the camera as they are also fully automatic and you can use it for bounce flash probably where you can bounce the flash like in snooker off the ceiling onto the subject to give a more diffused light without red eye or dark shadows.

The only problem with bounce flash is if the ceiling or wall is not white, that colour affects the result but thats often ok anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks all, all constructive advice. Auto is obviously easy - point and shoot like you say. It is actually quite a good way of learning though as you get to see what settings the camera chooses. Learn that, and then use and adapt it in the programming modes and that is the basis of the skill. 3 or 4 more trips out and several hours on the back door step and I will have it sussed! A little one to one tuition will save me 3 or 4 weeks of learning and deleting !!!
By the way, what a piece of kit it is. Whaever i do to mess it around it takes great shots........I will be entering November competition !!!! (if anyone ever comes and helps me) !!!

The difference between a good compact and an SLR is massive like, even when you're still getting to grips with it you'll be able to get great shots.

if your just in seaburn then you can come out with me sometime, im only in seaham...it will more than likely be a night time mind...but night photography makes you learn how to use your camera quicker in my opinion like.

if your just in seaburn then you can come out with me sometime, im only in seaham...it will more than likely be a night time mind...but night photography makes you learn how to use your camera quicker in my opinion like.

Thanks for the offer. Would be happy to take you up on that. Depends what time of night though as I do have work the next day!! PM me when you have plans and thanks.

I have an older Canon 350d DSLR. Still ok for my needs, but photography is much, much more than point-and-shoot on Auto mode or Program mode.

I would advise you to get a few books and learn all about exposure and depth of field until you understand how it works. There are some good books on the subject - if I can find any I could let you have a lend? - John Hedgecoe did canny books IIRC?

I like nature/birds and if you ever fancy a look though the day, to compliment the night stuff offered elsewhere, we could try that? - Has to be weekends though - again because of work commitments etc.

I also have a few larger lenses that I'm sure would be ok for long-distance inc. a 170-500 zoom and a 600mm mirror lens. You could try them on your camera - see what you think?

PM for details - I know a good few areas good for birds and have access to reserves & hides etc. for close-up. I'll be going anyway most weekends so you're welcome to tag along etc.

I have an older Canon 350d DSLR. Still ok for my needs, but photography is much, much more than point-and-shoot on Auto mode or Program mode.

I would advise you to get a few books and learn all about exposure and depth of field until you understand how it works. There are some good books on the subject - if I can find any I could let you have a lend? - John Hedgecoe did canny books IIRC?

I like nature/birds and if you ever fancy a look though the day, to compliment the night stuff offered elsewhere, we could try that? - Has to be weekends though - again because of work commitments etc.

I also have a few larger lenses that I'm sure would be ok for long-distance inc. a 170-500 zoom and a 600mm mirror lens. You could try them on your camera - see what you think?

PM for details - I know a good few areas good for birds and have access to reserves & hides etc. for close-up. I'll be going anyway most weekends so you're welcome to tag along etc.

Thanks for that. I have just received the book from Amazon that was recommended to me earlier in this thread. Just getting in to it but it seems just what I need. Thanks for the offer to "shoot some birds". I must admit the first thing I think of when someone mentions shooting birds is to get my air rifle out of the shed !! Or even shooting "birds" as in nude models !!. Only joking and any offer of help is gratefully received. Again, like Clyde if you have any plans drop me a PM and I would love the opportunity to learn anything you can offer. Thanks very much.

I enjoy looking for slighly obscure shots. i particularly like shots of buildings / structures but from interesting angles. No idea what this "genre" of photography is but it's what takes my fancy.......

Anyway, thanks for the offer and please drop me a PM if you have a session planned. :-D

No worries mate. Was working today, but most probably be out next weekend one or both days. Will have a think and PM through the week. No probs as I'd be going anyway and my mate who usually comes along is in very poor health at present:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back