Canon 60D, Nikon D7000, or Sony a77

• Thread starter ThankHeavenForShed 7
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThankHeavenForShed 7

After getting the go-ahead from the missus last night it's time for me to finally upgrade my camera! I currently have a Sony a200 with the kit lens, an old Minolta 50, and a cheap Tamron zoom. So I'm slightly invested in Sony but not enough to rule out a change. It's going to have to be used for a bit of video for work, I'd like some good low-noise low-light performance, and I want something that's durable enough to last quite a few years. In terms of price, the 60D, D7000 and a77 are in my range. I kind of need it for work pretty soon so the a77 loses points for not being available yet. What does the wise old SMB think?

And one for the Canon. :)

There's probably not much to choose between them. The Canon/Nikon and increasingly Sony arms race means the cameras have little in terms of picture quality to choose between them. I'd have Canon, cos I'm tied in with lenses. People have shed virtual blood on photo forums arguing the toss..

Gan and have a play in a shop.

Totally agree with IHBB - pick ow up and see what feels best in your hand. Makes a huge difference and will probably determine the amount of use.

As for make, another thing I'd consider is the availability of second hand gear. I love nikon but canon is much more widely available on the second hand Market - for good prices too.

Thinking about going bollock deep in the Canon. From what I've read it's slightly better at video which I'll be using for work (and was the crucial factor in getting the missus to agree to me upgrading!). I really like that the Nikon has a magnesium alloy body but I don't think that's worth the extra $200 CDN. The new Sony's look interesting but I'm not sure I can wait around...unless I can be persuaded otherwise.

Update: Just got back from the local camera shop - holy fuck, the D7000 is a nice camera! One thing I want to check...can you manually focus in video mode? I'm going to need the video for work so I need to make sure that I can have a good amount of manual control.

Update: Just got back from the local camera shop - holy fuck, the D7000 is a nice camera! One thing I want to check...can you manually focus in video mode? I'm going to need the video for work so I need to make sure that I can have a good amount of manual control.

You can manually focus, but for a good review of live view/movie mode and all other features have a look at:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

I haven't used movie mode much tbh.

Make sure you have a powerful enough PC for video editing. I have just upgraded mine as it could not handle the video from my 5D ii, making it impossible to edit. My new PC handles the video perfectly, so I will be trying out the Video more often as the quality blows my Sony HDD camcorder away. A Steadicam or a camera rig would come in handy next, but I will have to leave that for a while as our lass will probably kick off if I buy anything else at the minute.

Last edited:
After getting the go-ahead from the missus last night it's time for me to finally upgrade my camera! I currently have a Sony a200 with the kit lens, an old Minolta 50, and a cheap Tamron zoom. So I'm slightly invested in Sony but not enough to rule out a change. It's going to have to be used for a bit of video for work, I'd like some good low-noise low-light performance, and I want something that's durable enough to last quite a few years. In terms of price, the 60D, D7000 and a77 are in my range. I kind of need it for work pretty soon so the a77 loses points for not being available yet. What does the wise old SMB think?

I suspect none of them will satisfy that criterion. Modern amateur-level cameras are made to last a few weeks at most.

THe D7000 is pretty hard wearing. When i first got it I was mincing about with it, putting it in padding all the time. Now I just sling it in my bag.

DSLR's in general are built to last.

Think I'm going to go and get one tonight. I was all set to buy the Canon but I fell in love with the D7000 as soon as I picked it up. Just goes to show that AB22's 'try it in your hands' crack is absolutely spot on!

ThankHeavenForShed 7 said:
Think I'm going to go and get one tonight. I was all set to buy the Canon but I fell in love with the D7000 as soon as I picked it up. Just goes to show that AB22's 'try it in your hands' crack is absolutely spot on!

Class. I love new camera gear. You don't have any other plans for your money over the next year or so do you? Lenses, remotes, filters, bags... Have you got a tripod? :)

Class. I love new camera gear. You don't have any other plans for your money over the next year or so do you? Lenses, remotes, filters, bags... Have you got a tripod? :)

Thankfully I already have the bad and tripod from my old DSLR. Although you've just reminded me I'm going to need a new remote for bulb mode. And I guess my lenses will have different thread, so I'll need new filters. Actually, now you mention it...I'm losing a bit of reach compared to what I have so maybe I'm going to have to get a new tele. And to think that I promised the missus I wouldn't buy anything for a while if I got the camera!

ThankHeavenForShed 7 said:
Thankfully I already have the bad and tripod from my old DSLR. Although you've just reminded me I'm going to need a new remote for bulb mode. And I guess my lenses will have different thread, so I'll need new filters. Actually, now you mention it...I'm losing a bit of reach compared to what I have so maybe I'm going to have to get a new tele. And to think that I promised the missus I wouldn't buy anything for a while if I got the camera!

It's cheaper taking up a lively smack habit ;)

I've got the 60d but mainly as it was an upgrade and already had the lenses, having said that I love it. It's very good in low light but to be honest they will all be pretty much the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back