Canon 50mm f/1.4 tips..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't touch the micro adjustments... that's not the problem here, it's just the need to learn how to focus using such a narrow focal plane that's required.

I can't remember if you replied to my question about if you used centre point focussing and recompose, as that's a big no no when it comes to shooting wide open. When dealing with maybe a couple mm's DOF then doing centre/recompose can change the distance to subject by that or more meaning the lens then focusses on the wrong part of the image. Always choose the nearest focal point and use that.

Yeah I missed that, sorry mate. I use the single point on the 7D for portraits, aiming the focal point on the eyes. Sometimes I set it to chest and drag the composition for full body shots - I can see why that would render the face out of focus with a shallow DOF like, hmm.. I was doing that allot on that shoot, was swapping from head/shoulders to full body quite abit..

Haha yeah I was a little confussed by that but decided to let it slide due to personal tastes etc. :lol:

Lots of practice yes, but you look like you had a good model so it's so much of a chore to practice eh? ;)

definitely helps. I'm doing a 60's fashion shoot next Sunday (weather permitting), the model is not of the same standard though, but massive chebs all the same. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

not yet mate, havn't had a chance to sit down and have a play. I'm going to attempt some ink-dancing soon so will probably have a play then.

Do those shots look at little off to your eye Kev?

I am just on phone at the minute so wouldn't like to say. Will try and have a look tonight.

My 50mm was front focusing before I micro adjusted and it's amazing how much difference it makes. It doesn't take long and it is well worth checking. Canon put it there so you can get the best out of your lenses, so it's worth having a look.

Yeah I missed that, sorry mate. I use the single point on the 7D for portraits, aiming the focal point on the eyes. Sometimes I set it to chest and drag the composition for full body shots - I can see why that would render the face out of focus with a shallow DOF like, hmm.. I was doing that allot on that shoot, was swapping from head/shoulders to full body quite abit..

definitely helps. I'm doing a 60's fashion shoot next Sunday (weather permitting), the model is not of the same standard though, but massive chebs all the same. :cool:

Shame I'm shooting a wedding or I could have come along and erm you know helped out with your focussing ;)

Single point is fine... but which single point? The one in the middle, or the one closest to the eyes? Or have you not delved in to changing which single point yet?

There's something like 18 to choose from in a kind of diamond formation spreading across about 2/3rds of the viewfinder... so changing from the middle to the one closest to the eyes has a big impact on keeping the focus where it's supposed to be

ajax_andy said:
Be carefull not to shoot the foreground out of focus though as that seems to be frowned upon on here ;)

Ah, that might be me! You're welcome though. Feel free to ask me for anymore advice ;) :)

Shame I'm shooting a wedding or I could have come along and erm you know helped out with your focussing ;)

Single point is fine... but which single point? The one in the middle, or the one closest to the eyes? Or have you not delved in to changing which single point yet?

There's something like 18 to choose from in a kind of diamond formation spreading across about 2/3rds of the viewfinder... so changing from the middle to the one closest to the eyes has a big impact on keeping the focus where it's supposed to be

if you ever need a second shooter let me know, I'm looking for the practice..

I like to use the 'manual selection single point AF' for portraiture, constantly tweaking it unless i have to move quickly then i focus and recompose.

7d is fantastic for AF like, it's impossible to fuck it up really..

ayesane said:
Are you with 7d?

I am! Arrived just as I was walking out the door. Am now at my grandmothers house, willing her to wake up with my eyes. Doesn't she know I have a new camera to go home and play with?!?! Still waiting on the flash card to arrive like. Picking the 1.8 up off Ross on the way home.

I am! Arrived just as I was walking out the door. Am now at my grandmothers house, willing her to wake up with my eyes. Doesn't she know I have a new camera to go home and play with?!?! Still waiting on the flash card to arrive like. Picking the 1.8 up off Ross on the way home.

Nice! you got your 28-75 aswell? I fucked up with my flash card like :lol: gave the one I ordered to you iirc, had to wait 2 days before I could use the camera :evil:

ayesane said:
Nice! you got your 28-75 aswell? I fucked up with my flash card like :lol: gave the one I ordered to you iirc, had to wait 2 days before I could use the camera :evil:

Aye the tamron arrived with it. Looked at them then had to leave :-(

if you ever need a second shooter let me know, I'm looking for the practice..

I like to use the 'manual selection single point AF' for portraiture, constantly tweaking it unless i have to move quickly then i focus and recompose.

7d is fantastic for AF like, it's impossible to fuck it up really..

Aye will do bud... you got a website or link to your images so I can see what your previous work is like? Would need to match my style so not always about technical competance, but how your images would work alongside mine... Also got to make sure your pics aren't better than mine as that wouldn't be good ;)

Wouldn't be able to pay you though just thought I'd get that out there now, as don't really charge enough to warrant a paid assistant.

can we please get this thread onto the third page. f***ing seans photos are eating my bandwidth every time I reload the page :lol::lol:

Aye will do bud... you got a website or link to your images so I can see what your previous work is like? Would need to match my style so not always about technical competance, but how your images would work alongside mine... Also got to make sure your pics aren't better than mine as that wouldn't be good ;)

Wouldn't be able to pay you though just thought I'd get that out there now, as don't really charge enough to warrant a paid assistant.

wouldn't expect to be paid marra, all the images I took would be yours to keep or throw away. An artistic slant is good, but second shooting (for me anyway) is about learning what needs to be shot.

My portfolio is mainly lifestyle stuff (new born through to teenager) a small sprinkle of fashion, hair and make-up stuff thrown in aswell. I have a site built just wanting some more fitting work, got some sessions planned with a couple toddlers when the rain stops to try and get those shots.

I'd be there to help marra :cool: be your VAL and generally just observe and get a couple shots my self.

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't expect to be paid marra, all the images I took would be yours to keep or throw away. An artistic slant is good, but second shooting (for me anyway) is about learning what needs to be shot.

My portfolio is mainly lifestyle stuff (new born through to teenager) a small sprinkle of fashion, hair and make-up stuff thrown in aswell. I have a site built just wanting some more fitting work, got some sessions planned with a couple toddlers when the rain stops to try and get those shots.

I'd be there to help marra :cool: be your VAL and generally just observe and get a couple shots my self.

Cool sounds good :)

Send me the link to your site and I'll have a look and will get back to you about it

If I get some shoots where a photographer is wanted I'll give you a shout if you want? Would just be documenting the shoot

I've lent my 1.4 to someone yesterday who said it was unusable and every shot was blurry :confused:

oROSSo said:
I've lent my 1.4 to someone yesterday who said it was unusable and every shot was blurry :confused:

Ouch. Is that his wording: blurry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back