Canon 50mm f/1.4 tips..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. Is that his wording: blurry?
yer. She has a 60D and her kit lens is fine but the 50mm was blurry. I've only taken about 3 shots with it so don't know if its faulty. Was her son's graduation and they were doing the photos themselves instead of queueing for the pro. Really worried about getting a fucked lens back now....

I wonder if in the history of photography anyone has bought a prime, opened it up fully, took a picture and wondered why the hell most of it was out of focus? :lol:

I know I certainly did the same :oops:

Still it's all just part of the learning process... some people can't get past that, but the one's that do are able to get some great results with some wicked blurred backgrounds.

This is definately one of my favourite shots I've taken recently with the 50mm prime:

Logon or register to see this image

That was shot at f/1.8... Just imagine if that had been taken on a zoom at say f/4.5? Wouldn't be half the shot and lots of distracting elements in the background. Oh shit just realised I blurred the foreground again... must be more carefull in future :lol:

yer. She has a 60D and her kit lens is fine but the 50mm was blurry. I've only taken about 3 shots with it so don't know if its faulty. Was her son's graduation and they were doing the photos themselves instead of queueing for the pro. Really worried about getting a fucked lens back now....

Logon or register to see this image

That's all I have to say on the matter :p

*that's a joke before anyone gets their knickers in a twist :-D

oROSSo said:

Like me, I think they may be shooting wide open, and messing it up. They know what they're doing?

ajax_andy said:
That's all I have to say on the matter :p

*that's a joke before anyone gets their knickers in a twist :-D

And this :lol:

Like me, I think they may be shooting wide open, and messing it up. They know what they're doing?

And this :lol:

Nope. She's been doing a course for 6 months or so but doesn't understand aperture, iso and shutter speed yet :confused: All I can think of is they were shooting wide open and focusing behind he subject. I have really no idea but can't wait to get my lens back tonight.

oROSSo said:
Nope. She's been doing a course for 6 months or so but doesn't understand aperture, iso and shutter speed yet :confused: All I can think of is they were shooting wide open and focusing behind he subject. I have really no idea but can't wait to get my lens back tonight.

Fingers crossed mate, let us know. :)

How can someone do a course for 6 months and not understand aperture, iso & shutter speed?! :eek:

just heard that the little switch on the lens was turned to MF, didn't know what it was. :neutral:

No shit, I was just about to type "tell her to switch it off manual focus"

I was also about to have a word with Ajax about his blurry foreground. I can see I'm going to regret that one, especially as I'll now be experimenting with the 1.8 prime. A measure of a man is how well he admits to his mistakes :)

I was also about to have a word with Ajax about his blurry foreground. I can see I'm going to regret that one, especially as I'll now be experimenting with the 1.8 prime. A measure of a man is how well he admits to his mistakes :)
glad to see you've emerged from the cocoon that is the 7D booklet.

:lol:

apparently they got some shots with the kit lens that they're happy with, guess thats what matters. Local professionals can sleep soundly tonight me thinks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back