Canon 50mm f/1.4 tips..

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ayesane

I know a couple of you have them - Anyone got any tips?

I really struggled at my recent shoot with focusing issues, looking though the snaps probably 40% are instant throw-aways due to bad focusing..

I don't have this lens and I don't do portraits but I very rarely use AF, I always focus manually with all my lenses.

Bad focusing or very shallow DoF?

There's a temptation to open up the lens and depending on what you're doing, the pictures can have a very small area in focus.

Bad focusing, it looks like. Might be my eyes but i cannot find anything in focus here:

Logon or register to see this image

1/100 f/2.5 ISO 200

I'm no expert sean but it looks like a DOF issue. To me the nearest part, elbows etc, look sharp and it gets softer the further back you go. If you used AF then maybe the camera focused on the nearest part of your good lady. I'm assuming that's the missus.

Shooting at f5 it's very nice. Maybe worth even knocking the ISO up if possible to get there

Shooting at f5 it's very nice. Maybe worth even knocking the ISO up if possible to get there

The ambient light I had was utter rubbish (we had that storm going on).. hands were tied, but good point; my issue is the settings + focal point selection. :cool:

Her elbow looks pretty sharp. I thing it's a DoF issue.

It looks more in focus, but still a little soft..

Another question: does this lens support manual ring adjustments in AF mode? or will that break the motor?

btw, it is a brilliant bit of kit. My best purchase.

Thinking about getting this lens for my pentax sean, unsure on whether to go with manual focus or get the updated AF one , hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back