Cancer Cure v Govt Funds

It is interesting what people expect of a treatment though. If a cure is no sign of cancer in all patients given it with no need for ongoing treatment then we'll be waiting a long time.

I can't see it ever happening, we'll probably just see a growth in different types of cancer with some being eradicated, we've opened a massive can of worms, especially in recent times, that has everything out of control in my opinion.

If a cure for some of the biggest cancer killers becomes available in the next 20/30 years, can the state afford to keep x million people alive for longer?

Will there be a premium on such treatment, or will it be kept secret?

Whether the NHS will still exist is another argument so assume it will in its current form

There will need to be some serious and probably uncomfortable conversations to be had in the coming years - not just around the NHS but welfare as a whole.

People will have to get used to the idea of working longer - and I can't see how some final salary pension schemes will remain affordable longer term.

Brave New World!

Treatments just hold back the cancer imo.
to varying degrees depending on the individual.
most of the time it seems to come back eventually some sooner some a lot later.
i don’t think any of the drug treatments actually kill cancer for good.
the only effective cure is to remove where possible and even then......
That's not really true at all tbh. Many people have cancer that doesn't recur, without surgery alone. The more the cancer metastasizes the more chemotherapy and immunotherapy come into their own.

Pembrolizumab and nivolumab are phenomenal advances

If a cure for some of the biggest cancer killers becomes available in the next 20/30 years, can the state afford to keep x million people alive for longer?

Will there be a premium on such treatment, or will it be kept secret?

Whether the NHS will still exist is another argument so assume it will in its current form

Knob for a nose or nose for a knob?

Life expectancy has fallen in the UK to lower than it was 5 years ago.
I have my theory on it, I didn't realise it had but something is a miss, I have been saying things on here for quite sometime.
Maybes there's some truth in what I have believed since I was quite young.
"Life expectancy has fallen in the UK to lower than it was 5 years ago."

.... and people say that the Tories cannot be trusted.

Just as a wild guess, the Billionaires, Millionaires and others of that type will NOT be lying on the corridor floors in Hospitals, I reckon that the average drops because areas like ours, safely away from London and therefore starved of resources dare to die younger and spoil the figures. How thoughtless of them.

I don't need to say "Long Live the Tories" because that's what happening.

Disgusting

Last edited:
"Life expectancy has fallen in the UK to lower than it was 5 years ago."

.... and people say that the Tories cannot be trusted.

Just as a wild guess, the Billionaires, Millionaires and others of that type will NOT be lying on the corridor floors in Hospitals, I reckon that the average drops because areas like ours, safely away from London and therefore starved of resources dare to die younger and spoil the figures. How thoughtless of them.

I don't need to say "Long Live the Tories" because that's what happening.

Disgusting

Ah right life expectancy is dropping simply because of politics.

Loads of countries are striving for cures, its like the holy grail. Australian drs have claimed theyve just about cracked it by injecting the cancer cells with a virus that then attacks the cancer, unfortunately even if it works it will still be years away before its fit for use.
Newcastle University are also pioneers in a number of trials and tests.

Loads of countries are striving for cures, its like the holy grail. Australian drs have claimed theyve just about cracked it by injecting the cancer cells with a virus that then attacks the cancer, unfortunately even if it works it will still be years away before its fit for use.
Newcastle University are also pioneers in a number of trials and tests.

Have the doctors claimed that or the newspapers reporting it?

Back