Canada

What's changed there then mate? Got lucky with a crop of players or has the whole setup been improved? Canada have always struggled for as long as I can remember. Population is two-thirds of England's but maybe to do with ice hockey and lacrosse being the main sports there?
An article on the BBC this week stated that despite the tradition/ history of ice hocky, football is actually now the most played sport in Canada and has been for a few years. Which in turn has coincided with a crop of players who are really good. Alphonso Davies of Munich is the best of the lot (although he's out with heart problems at the moment I understand).

EDIT - The 'sleeping giant' closing in on Qatar

Last edited:

An article on the BBC this week stated that despite the tradition/ history of ice hocky, football is actually now the most played sport in Canada and has been for a few years. Which in turn has coincided with a crop of players who are really good. Alphonso Davies of Munich is the best of the lot (although he's out with heart problems at the moment I understand).

Me lass (no) is Canadian and says football is/has been huge for years mainly due to the immigration from Europe. There were street parties in Toronto when Italy won the Euros because of a big population from there and others. I think they'll be a dark horse in the next WC providing the heat doesn't get to them. They played a blinder in the qualifiers having their game against Mexico in the coldest part of the country knowing that many Mexicans had never seen let alone played in Snow :lol:

Also, don't say Ice Hockey over there, you get stoned. It's just 'Hockey' ;)

Their whole family is sunlun through and through these days there, all MLFs

I'd just day that isn't what that article suggests...with him even saying when asked about managing Newcastle, something along the lines of yes, anyone from the North East who isn't a Sunderland fan would. Mentions he gets up with his family in Canada to follow Newcastle matches.
Toronto Star also reports him as a Newcastle fan
Perhaps you know different. But everything suggests he is a Newcastle fan

Me lass (no) is Canadian and says football is/has been huge for years mainly due to the immigration from Europe. There were street parties in Toronto when Italy won the Euros because of a big population from there and others. I think they'll be a dark horse in the next WC providing the heat doesn't get to them. They played a blinder in the qualifiers having their game against Mexico in the coldest part of the country knowing that many Mexicans had never seen let alone played in Snow :lol:

Also, don't say Ice Hockey over there, you get stoned. It's just 'Hockey' ;)
I live in Edmonton and went to the Costa Rica and Mexico games - you’re 100% right it was a tactical masterpiece to play both the games there, but the weather was nowhere near as bad as it should have been for November in Edmonton - was close to -10 both games, could easily be -30 for that time of year. Still was cold enough to off-balance the South Americans, makes you wonder why they haven’t played qualifiers here before

What's changed there then mate? Got lucky with a crop of players or has the whole setup been improved? Canada have always struggled for as long as I can remember. Population is two-thirds of England's but maybe to do with ice hockey and lacrosse being the main sports there?
It’s unbelievable that this is classed as the main sport. I don’t know a single person who plays it. Loads play/played hockey and curling, then in the summer it’s American Football and real football. I think even Rugby is more popular

I signed up and a local football league, I was excited to think I’d be one of the best players. It was full of Europeans, mainly Lads from Russia, Ukraine and Poland ffs. So I was just another player :lol:

Last edited:
They were saying last night that football now is the most played sport for kids so I guess that helps.

We only came here 2017 so haven't really seen all the past teams but they have hit lucky with a generation of good players coming through.

The coach is very well thought of too he did good things with the women's team and they certainly look organised.

I think the future looks bright for them as sports like hockey cost a fortune to get anywhere. A lass I work with has a son who is OK at hockey never likely to get anywhere but has spent thousands on kit and coaching fees

How can they be a 'sleeping giant', they were never an 'awake giant'. The BBC is following the downward journalistic spiral of the printed media. Another story that was published yesterday has '2 hours ago' stuck to it, there is an advert article for a Mag 'amateur' photographer who started taking pics during COVID, yet has a massive archive of older stuff for sale and a rake of slow news day shite across the whole site. Thank the lord there is Facebook and twitter to provide the real news ;)

what a shit show of a thread, no mention of a coach that no one has heard of and can't even get the player right.
John Herdman's last coaching job in England was with Sunderland

I'd just day that isn't what that article suggests...with him even saying when asked about managing Newcastle, something along the lines of yes, anyone from the North East who isn't a Sunderland fan would. Mentions he gets up with his family in Canada to follow Newcastle matches.
Toronto Star also reports him as a Newcastle fan
Perhaps you know different. But everything suggests he is a Newcastle fan
EX Sunderland coach.

Last edited:

The national sport of Canada is Lacrosse.

Back