Can you just turn up at the airport

I did that years ago at Stansted with three kids. Didn't fancy the drive up to Newcastle so asked if I could buy returns. First price was mental and I was ready to go back to the car. Then the lass found me a cheap flight more in line with the adverts Air Uk had up at the time. My overriding memory was my youngest eating the in flight venison meal, the middle one refusing point blank to have anything and the oldest having a sandwich. It was propellor powered so the flight time was one hour twenty. This was early internet days, around about the same time as Easyjet started.

In theory yes,
At somewhere like Heathrow, the major airlines have ticket desks so yes, you might be able to do that. The cost would likely be very expensive to buy a last minute ticket, but you could do it. I did it once, landed from the US to Heathrow, there had been a serious train crash that meant the line from Kings Cross home was shut. Went to the BA desk, and paid cash and I was on my way by air.

Even at smaller airports like Newcastle some of the major airlines might have ticket desks, but the holiday airlines and the low cost ones would just point you to the airlines app or webpage and tell you to book through that.

In practice though, if you didnt know where you wanted to go, you'd have to go to each airlines desk individually, then compare the options with each other, then decide.

There used to be a "Callers Pegasus" travel agency desk where the car hire places are now at Newcastle.
It was a bucket shop - selling off un-booked/sold holidays or last minute cancellations.
It was common for people to just turn up at the airport with their cases etc and see what they had going that day.
Hand-written flight tickets & telex & phone calls to foreign hotels were the order of the day.
Absolutely brilliant if you didn't mind one jot where you went for a holiday.

Can you turn up at a train station and jump on a train?
I’m talking about getting a cheap last minute flight there and then rather than the airline letting the seat go empty
There used to be a "Callers Pegasus" travel agency desk where the car hire places are now at Newcastle.
It was a bucket shop - selling off un-booked/sold holidays or last minute cancellations.
It was common for people to just turn up at the airport with their cases etc and see what they had going that day.
Hand-written flight tickets & telex & phone calls to foreign hotels were the order of the day.
That’s the kinda thing I’m talking about

I wanna turn up with a suitcase and just wait a few hours to see what turns up

Last edited:
I think me Mam and Dad might have done that before. Then started using something from teletext to do it.

I’m talking about getting a cheap last minute flight there and then rather than the airline letting the seat go empty
Unlikely me thinks but take your passport and give it a go. Worst that can happen is you don’t get a cheap flight. I assume the immigration bollocks can be done at short notice at the airport.

Last edited:
I've had to buy a ticket when I've missed a connection at Heathrow. The ticket I had was for BA, the person at the BA ticket desk quoted me a price for the first flight the next morning and then said BMI were cheaper. So I toddled over to their desk and bought a ticket.

And ask to see if there’s an empty seat on a flight? Like you see in the films.

I can’t decided where to go on holiday

No. You could do years ago but not any more. It's a thought that everyone has at some point, to just turn up and jet off but it doesn't work like that anymore.

Last edited:
Unlikely me thinks but take your passport and give it a go. Worst that can happen is you don’t get a cheap flight. I assume the immigration bollocks can be done at short notice at the airport.
That’s a good point. I’ve done some immigration on a plane before but I can’t imagine every country is that easy

That’s the kinda thing I’m talking about

I wanna turn up with a suitcase and just wait a few hours to see what turns up
Pack your bag ,ring Hays and wait for a call of them

Back