Can an airliner manoeuvre itself without airport tugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there were no available tugs, could for example a 777 use it's reverse thrust and nosewheel steering to reverse out of the airport bay it is in? Or would the thrust endanger the airport or people there?

I'm probably wrong but having seen cowls appear at the rear of the engines when the plane has landed, diverting thrust over the engines and forwards to slow the plane, I doubt it's efficient enough to overcome inertia and start the plane moving backwards from rest.

I should think the required thrust would blow the windows out the building.

If there were no available tugs, could for example a 777 use it's reverse thrust and nosewheel steering to reverse out of the airport bay it is in? Or would the thrust endanger the airport or people there?
Not may aircraft are capable of doing it, DC-9s can though...

Yes.in certain circumstances but not usually on stand.

Not may aircraft are capable of doing it, DC-9s can though...
Any aircraft with thrust reversers are capable of doing it. It's generally not a sensible option though, and usually not permitted either by the airport authorities or airline SOP's.

Yes and yes.

Any aircraft with thrust reversers are capable of doing it. It's generally not a sensible option though, and usually not permitted either by the airport authorities or airline SOP's.
Not true, most don't push enough air forwards to move the weight of the aircraft.

I know it's a bizarre question but it just seemed an interesting one. I don't actually imagine it would be feasible. The pilot doesn't have a rear-view mirror! :lol::lol:

Or wing mirrors, come to think of it!
He could always open a window and stick his head out to check.

A lot of planes technically can, but most would be stupid to do it, as they would kick loads of debris forward and back into the engines.

Planes that used to do it regularly tended to be ones with the engines mounted high up on the fuselage, rather than under the wings.

Also it's bloody loud - you hear it briefly when they land and that's usually from the other side of the airfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back