Camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderer

Striker
With a tent, not mincing about.

Thinking about getting some gear and trying the family away for some cheap weekends of fresh air.

Got absolutely no gear, and no idea where to start.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start, are these Halfords all in one deals much cop? Mixed reviews on website, so turning to the wise heads on the SMB. Also looking at some 2nd hand tents on eBay but haven't got a clue what I'm looking for.

What's a decent make of tent, what features should I be looking for?

Thinking about getting some gear and trying the family away for some cheap weekends of fresh air.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start, are these Halfords all in one deals much cop? Mixed reviews on website, so turning to the wise heads on the SMB. Also looking at some 2nd hand tents on eBay but haven't got a clue what I'm looking for.

It needs a door

Only done it over night up hamsterley Forrest ,absolutely f***ing terrible experience .

A few people I know went for the Halfords one, liked it (i.e. camping) realised the Halfords gear was poor and bought again. Funnily enough Go Outdoors is advertising at the top of the page (well they are on mine). You can go crazy doing the research on things like Hydro static head etc. but my view was...I am going in spring/summer and if the rain is that bad I am packing up and going home!

Mine is this one (http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-kalahari-elite-10-tent-p286247) but in blue. Very easy to put up, around 45 mins and the inner rooms just click in place. Also quite light - many of the better ones of have steel poles which make them very heavy. Hi-gear is there own brand. You can find Gelert ones that look almost identical.

Buying a second hand tent to put your family up in?

f***ing disgraceful. :lol:

Reactions: j.w
Because I'm kind I'll give you some good advice - for your first time, if you know nothing about it, take the kids to a site that has camping "pods" (try Humble Bee Farm at Filey, or the C&C site at Boot in the Lakes, or loads of other places) and while you're there have look round the site and see what set up might be best for your family.

Because I'm kind I'll give you some good advice - for your first time, if you know nothing about it, take the kids to a site that has camping "pods" (try Humble Bee Farm at Filey, or the C&C site at Boot in the Lakes, or loads of other places) and while you're there have look round the site and see what set up might be best for your family.

This. Or borrow a tent to see if the family enjoys the great outdoors before shelling out for all the gear.
As already mentioned, Go Outdoors is great for equipment on a budget.

Lend the stuff first and see if camping is for you. Buying cheap shite from halfords or catalogues wont last and obviously an expensive one will be a waste if you only use it once

Pretty sound advice this mind. My mate went out and spent about £800 for al lthe gear, had a weekend at Barney Castle and hated it, lot of money to waste, try it as said above first.

Great advice. There used to a be a site up in Northumberland that had Tipis type tents available as well. Would be a great start. Although they probably advertise it as glamping nowadays and charge a fortune.

Yep just googled it http://www.wildnorthumbrian.co.uk/ and they do say it is glamping :-(

For equipment and clothing try Mountain Warehouse. Cheap decent gear....better than the likes of Go Outdoors.

Obviously the wise SMB hates camping (but then of course it hates everything) but generally small kids absolutely love it. We went all over Europe in our Cabanon ;) when the kids were little.

Allsorts on here mate. Worth a look.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/pages/outdoor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back