Camping and kayaking locations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Striker
Does anyone know anywhere good for camping and kayaking where the weather might be good enough next week? I've got a couple of young kids so we need reasonably gentle kayaking.

I just has a call from the campsite I was booked into in Keswick to say it is water logged so they have had to cancel. I have the car packed and am near Morecambe where it is blowing a gale up this coast. I live in Kent so we have virtually all England and possibly Wales to chose from. I'm ok for the next 2 nights but have to find somewhere sharpish. Anyone done anything, perhaps in thr upper Thames area?

Does anyone know anywhere good for camping and kayaking where the weather might be good enough next week? I've got a couple of young kids so we need reasonably gentle kayaking.

I just has a call from the campsite I was booked into in Keswick to say it is water logged so they have had to cancel. I have the car packed and am near Morecambe where it is blowing a gale up this coast. I live in Kent so we have virtually all England and possibly Wales to chose from. I'm ok for the next 2 nights but have to find somewhere sharpish. Anyone done anything, perhaps in thr upper Thames area?

Went here last weekend, camped right next to the lake and had a blast.

http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/

I'll post a couple of pics when I put them online in a sec

On the thames near Henley.

www.hurleyriversidepark.co.uk

lots of people kayak from ther.

I styed there myself coupel weeks ago. spotless site.

or are you looking at kayaking and carrying all your stuff with you.

if so also the thames.

leave car at Reading or firther up stream and go down river al the way to Marlow or even Windsor.

its all gentle due to the locks

then get a taxi or train to pick your car up and then back to get your kayaks

Just left karrageen campsite near Hope Cove in Devon. Lovely campsite and people. Plenty kayaking in rhe sea around there.

Mind it has been windy the last 2 nights, driving in devon is shit as well.

Kielder is a bit funny about taking your own kayaks, you're supposed to only launch from leaplish and you're supposed to have a certificate proving proof of competency. Consensus is that the rules are there to make you hire equipment rather than bring your own. A bit nannyish for me.

Just left karrageen campsite near Hope Cove in Devon. Lovely campsite and people. Plenty kayaking in rhe sea around there.

Mind it has been windy the last 2 nights, driving in devon is shit as well.

Hope cove next to Salcombe...

You can kayak and paddle board on the inlets easy too

Just go Thames.. at least if weather shit you can go home fairly easily

Because you live in Kent and only assume you have England and Wales then you are a lazy bastard...drive a bit further north and hit Scotland, plenty of everything there matey.

Had few days at coniston camp site
Very good clean facilities and walks are amazing
Also having the lake on your doorstep helps aswell

I have bookmarked that one for a future trip. Good traffic I could probably get there in 2 hours, which is ideal for a spur of the moment trip away.

Are you thinking of Mill bay/East Portlemouth, the other side of the estuary from Salcombe? That's on my radar for a camping/kayaking trip but apparently it's difficult to park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back