Camp sites not too far away

I know what you're saying, but it is literally for a one night's camping try-out.

Do you know anyone with a bigger garden? Preferably someone who will offer hot food, toilet facilities and a warm bed if the kids get fed up during the night?

In reality though, there is nothing better than camping out in the back garden and cooking your breakfast on a small stove. Just don’t forget the black door key in case you need the loo!

Can anyone recommend a campsite not too far from Durham?

My twins (four on Thursday) have got it in to their heads that they would like to go camping with Daddy (I blame Peppa Pig). I just want to go for one night (initially), as I think they will probably freak out and I'll have to return before any sleeping has commenced.

Cheers,

Harmonic
Finchale Abbey on the doorstep mate, they've got camping pods.

My twins (four on Thursday) have got it in to their heads that they would like to go camping with Daddy (I blame Peppa Pig). I just want to go for one night (initially), as I think they will probably freak out and I'll have to return before any sleeping has commenced.

Cheers,

Harmonic

Do you have all the gear? Buying a tent, sleeping bags, air bed, cooking equipment all adds up to a lot to pay for one night of scaring the kids off the idea. Alternatively, you could embrace it and have cheap family holidays camping in various places around the country multiple times in the year rather than one big holiday abroad.

As said, the cost of the initial outlay can be a bit.
If you tip up without beds/mattresses you're going to be uncomfortable and have a naff time and never want to go again.

Also, make sure there's plenty to do nearby with kids of that age. They might get bored on a campsite, and the playground areas tend to be dominated by slightly older kids who are largely unsupervised.

It's class like, but you do get some right ronkers on occasion.

Do you have all the gear? Buying a tent, sleeping bags, air bed, cooking equipment all adds up to a lot to pay for one night of scaring the kids off the idea. Alternatively, you could embrace it and have cheap family holidays camping in various places around the country multiple times in the year rather than one big holiday abroad.
Most of the stuff, I'd need sleeping bags.

You'd probably best with one of the Camping and Caravanning Club sites. Non members welcome and that. They usually have decent play facilities. Locally that's Barney Castle, Bellingham, Dunstanburgh, Beadnell and then Scarborough. Barney one is probably your best bet. You can also check availability online.

Kids will love it by the way.

Barnard Castle - The Camping and Caravanning Club

Cheers,

Harmonic

Finchale Abbey?

Alebar park is excellent as if Cote Gyll both will be great for the kids, both within an hour. Akebar had a superb pub on site, not a club house a proper pub
Both great sites. Osmotherly pubs only a short walk from Cote Ghyl. But Akebar is so good I sited me caravan there so I'm down most weekends through the summer. Like you say it's got a proper nice pub on site. Brilliant for summer nights where the kids can play outside while parents get pissed.

Finchale Abbey?
Have a feeling that is an adult only site. And not sure they take tents. Caravans only.

Cheers,

Harmonic

Thorpe Farm Centre - Caravan Site, Camping, Static Homes for Sale, North Yorkshire, County Durham, Barnard Castle

Just along the start of the A66, got play area, some far manimals and loads of space for kids to burn their energy.

Back