Camera's

Any recommendations on makes/models to look for someone who's only starting out?

I've started to travel a lot more and often take pictures as part of my job, but the quality of the camera on my phone is fairly terrible for the most part.

Anything around the £400-£500 bracket would be ideal.

Bought one for the lad and just did the google "best buy under ... " type stuff
sorted a short list and looked for a deal,it bluetooths images to his phone
theres some great cameras on phones mind
my A71 is excellent

Bought one for the lad and just did the google "best buy under ... " type stuff
sorted a short list and looked for a deal,it bluetooths images to his phone
theres some great cameras on phones mind
my A71 is excellent

Much appreciated mate,

I was away for the weekend and took 200+ pictures, the quality was so poor. I said f**k that, if you're going to travel and want to take some half decent pictures go and invest in a camera.

Personally, I never thought I'd like photography but there's something really cool and enjoyable about it. Obviously using your phone isn't exactly the same, but you get my drift.

Any recommendations on makes/models to look for someone who's only starting out?

I've started to travel a lot more and often take pictures as part of my job, but the quality of the camera on my phone is fairly terrible for the most part.

There's a photography section, I'm sure people have suggested cameras in there as well

Are you after an SLR or just a small/pocket camera that's an upgrade from a phone?

There's loads of choice out there, but my 10 year old Nikon D3100 hasn't missed a beat since the day I bought it. If you want to do a full manual set up it's easy to do so, equally if you just want to leave it on auto and capture the moment, it still takes very high quality shots.

Olmpus omd em-10 mk2 or 3 + 14-42mm pancake lens. Small enough set up to put in your coat pocket, and you can add other lenses if you need them. Lovely little camera.

Have a look on MPB. They mainly do second hand. I would buy a camera body and lens separate as kit lenses are normally poor quality. Get the best lens you can afford and don't worry too much about the camera body. You won't use half the "Bells and whistles" that come on a new camera body.
I have bought quite a bit of stuff from MPB in the past without any issues. Just another option for you to consider.

Much appreciated mate,

I was away for the weekend and took 200+ pictures, the quality was so poor. I said f**k that, if you're going to travel and want to take some half decent pictures go and invest in a camera.

Personally, I never thought I'd like photography but there's something really cool and enjoyable about it. Obviously using your phone isn't exactly the same, but you get my drift.
Agree, there gets a point and its isn't after long where if you really want a proper pic a phone wont do it . Phones have helped people appreciate taking pics a bit more but for good or worse i'm not sure

Cameras on a good mobile phone are actually very good. They have a similar sized sensor to most bridge cameras, even those at 800 quid.

For 500 quid I'd go for the Nikon P900. The only problem is they aren't easy to come by. The menu is pretty simple, long zoom (2,000mm) and zoom really matters in getting close to your subject and it follows more detail. There's a lot more to it than that but it really depends on what you're planning to take pictures of?

I wouldn't particularly recommend any make over the other. Canon, Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic etc all are decent and all have their advantages and disadvantages.

They will all generally have beginners "point and shoot" type automatic modes as well until you get used to using the more advanced features.

A lot of the quality of the image will come from the quality of the lens - and you will get the best quality from interchangeable lens camera rather than using one lens with a superzoom - but obviously more lenses means more money in the long term.

A big part of your decision will depend on the size of the camera and weight of equipment you are prepared to carry about. I wouldn't recommend an SLR for most people these days...go for a mirrorless camera but they come in various sizes from relatively compact to bulky but very good.

If you go down the interchangeable lens route, it is important to get a system/manufacturer you get on with - the ergonomics and user interfaces vary quite a bit between manufacturers and once you pick a system and buy more than a couple of lenses you are really locked in to that manufacturer.

Read the stickies at the top of this forum. They are a bit dated now, but should help you.

Depending what you are looking for check out the Intsa 360 cameras - they have turned photography around ( literally) they capture everything (360 degrees) and you edit want you want to capture.

See youtube for examples - there are millions!

User interfaces are the most common gripe with beginners and did my head in initially as there’s so much stuff that they won’t need unless they really really get into it.

There’s some crackin second hand bargains in the Sony Nex range 3s and 5s can be picked up on eBay for the price of a small hangover. 6s for a big hangover and 7s for kill me now one. Their own brand e mount lenses cost next to nowt used. There’s also 3 different series of Nex instruction books always on eBay for the price of a couple of pints that go beyond the far end of a fart in places.

Its the tight northerner in me. Sorry. Mines the 7.

He keeps this up to date.

Rule number 1: Feel your camera, if it doesn't feel right in your hands you'll soon discard it.

Last edited:

Back