Camera question

I have a Canon EOS 450D. Its been sat in a wardrobe for a number of years. It has a 16GB SD card, which is full of old pics. I thought I would buy a new 125GB card, this arrived yesterday. I fitted it into the camera and it wont work as camera wont accept the format.
Anyone help me here? Is it the age of the camera or the size of the card causing the issue?

I have a Canon EOS 450D. Its been sat in a wardrobe for a number of years. It has a 16GB SD card, which is full of old pics. I thought I would buy a new 125GB card, this arrived yesterday. I fitted it into the camera and it wont work as camera wont accept the format.
Anyone help me here? Is it the age of the camera or the size of the card causing the issue?

I've got the next model up, the 550d, and according to the manual the biggest card it'll take is 32gb.

Is it a SDHC or SDXC card? This only takes SD and SDHC cards (LINK), not the SDXC and there's even one now called SDUC that goes up to 128TB. I'm presuming you've got a SDXC card which is 32GB to 2TB so no good for you.

Look on wiki HERE to see the limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes its an SDXC. I should have done my homework before buying. Thanks
So you bought summit without consulting the world famous SMB Google facility? 🤔

Fancy not starting a "Recommend me a ..." thread instead of the usual crap 🤪

As already pointed out, you need and SDHC card, not a larger SDXC one.

SDXC will be formatted exFAT rather than FAT32 and won't work with that camera.

SDHC will go up to 32GB but in reality 4GB would be plenty for that camera. You won't need a fast one either, so I would just go with whatever size is the cheapest. Should be less than £5 online.

As already pointed out, you need and SDHC card, not a larger SDXC one.

SDXC will be formatted exFAT rather than FAT32 and won't work with that camera.

SDHC will go up to 32GB but in reality 4GB would be plenty for that camera. You won't need a fast one either, so I would just go with whatever size is the cheapest. Should be less than £5 online.
Already ordered, thanks.

Back