1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera advice

Discussion in 'Photography discussion' started by houst69, Oct 6, 2017.

1. houst69

houst69 Striker

my daughter, who is 8, loves taking photographs (she takes gooduns as well!) looking at getting her a proper camera, not the crap you buy at argos? What would you all recommend for a starter camera?

2. AB22 Easy Tiger

AB22 Easy Tiger Even better than before Staff Member Contributor

What exactly do mean by a proper camera?

I'm sure she's too young to be selecting lenses. Also, what's your price range?

3. In addition to post #2, I'd say go second hand - 8 year olds can be fickle. Plenty of time in the future for newer stuff.
    If she is seriously interested in photography, a good book could help her learn. Will need a camera with manual mode.

4. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

Just to jump in,my son is 12 and fancies a camera,likes to take pics on his phone when we're out and about and he has a good eye
    Do the modern slr's do video as well ? Something not too techy would be ideal

Rather than a phone etc i presume,a dedicated camera

AB22 Easy Tiger likes this.
  5. Walter Ego

Walter Ego Winger

I bought a Fujifilm x100f at Argos.

6. I get asked this question all the time and I can’t recommend this one enough. Canon 600D (now replaced by a newer model the 700D)

Ideal for a beginner as it has auto, semi auto and manual settings, a flip out screen and it’s surprisingly good at video as well. Only real drawback is it’s ISO sensitivity in low light but most if not all cameras in this price bracket would have similar output

7. AB22 Easy Tiger

AB22 Easy Tiger Even better than before Staff Member Contributor

I had its predecessor, the 450D when I first started taking photographs, it was an ideal starter.

samaistonsrightfoot likes this.
  8. A mate of mine had a 450D and recommended it to me but think it had been replaced by the 550D. I had that stolen then but the 600D had replaced that so got that one instead. Was a good few year ago now like but I still have it now as a back up camera. Can't really fault it for it's price