Calories Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kingbant1

I want to put myself on 1500 calories a day but just want it explaining a bit. If I ignore all the GSA's and fat content and that and only concentrate on Calories is that ok or is it not that simple. Basically can I eat whatever I want as long as it doesn't exceed 1500 calories ? Obviously within reason and being sensible eg breakfast, dinner, tea. It's not like I'm going to have 3 chocolate bars daily or whatever. Just never understood it all but if I can do it based solely on calories I could easily take more care of my eating...

kingbant1 said:
I want to put myself on 1500 calories a day but just want it explaining a bit. If I ignore all the GSA's and fat content and that and only concentrate on Calories is that ok or is it not that simple. Basically can I eat whatever I want as long as it doesn't exceed 1500 calories ? Obviously within reason and being sensible eg breakfast, dinner, tea. It's not like I'm going to have 3 chocolate bars daily or whatever. Just never understood it all but if I can do it based solely on calories I could easily take more care of my eating...

No the macronutrients are much more important.

sksk3021 said:

Right, so what are they ? The GSA's where it gives you a percentage ??

sksk3021 said:

No there not, it's good to track and watch your macros but it's not the be all and end all.

Kingbant, A calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from its just that fat has more calories in than protein/carb.
It's not fat/protein/carb that gets a person fat it's excess calories.

Last edited:
You'll still lose weight, but I'd advise you to track macronutrients rather than just calories. Also, 1500 is extremely low.

Titus said:
You'll still lose weight, but I'd advise you to track macronutrients rather than just calories. Also, 1500 is extremely low.

Not to low if he's just trying to lose weight, I eat no more than 1650cals per day and weights coming off nicely.

Not to low if he's just trying to lose weight, I eat no more than 1650cals per day and weights coming off nicely.

1500kcal is way too low, that's likely several hundred kcal short of his BMR.

Titus said:
1500kcal is way too low, that's likely several hundred kcal short of his BMR.

I'm wanting to lose about 2 stone like. I go running and play the odd game of 5 a side. From next week I'm going to start skipping 20 mins a day too. Should I be at 2000 calories ? I thought the lower you went the more weight you lost ? Like I said I haven't got a clue so I'm prob totally wrong. I'm rubbish with my calories and carbs etc...

I'm wanting to lose about 2 stone like. I go running and play the odd game of 5 a side. From next week I'm going to start skipping 20 mins a day too. Should I be at 2000 calories ? I thought the lower you went the more weight you lost ? Like I said I haven't got a clue so I'm prob totally wrong. I'm rubbish with my calories and carbs etc...

Use this to get a decent estimate of caloric requirements mate; http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=690756

You don't want to lose weight to quickly for a number of reasons.

RossTheNinja said:
Unless youre about 20 stone overweight, that seems an awful lot. What's the rush? I think folk on the biggest loser will manage that, if you're not morbidly obese 1-1.5 lbs should be fine.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. There's no rush at all, I want to lose 2 stone but i want to do it properly. I thought 3lb a week would be ok but if that's pushing it then I'll change my target to 1-2lb. I'm not totally massive but could do with shifting a bit...

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. There's no rush at all, I want to lose 2 stone but i want to do it properly. I thought 3lb a week would be ok but if that's pushing it then I'll change my target to 1-2lb. I'm not totally massive but could do with shifting a bit...

Sounds more realistic. Even better, though you probably wont do this, forget the scales and use a tape measure and/or pictures to monitor your progress. Itll be a lot less painful to put on a bit muscle than to stick to a dull diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back