Calling tree fellers ! Update.

The estimated price is a lot more than £600.

Briefly there is a tree in an old lady's garden that overhangs a network railway line (a siding that is only used a few times each day as opposed to a major route line)

It is old and a few branches have come down. Network Rail have decided it has to go (fair enough), but they have told the old lady it is at her expense. I've told her to let them take the tree down and chase her for the money but she wants to do things properly(?) but can't afford what they are estimating. She has house insurance but doesn't think the tree itself is insured.

Tell them to Fook off, they can maintain the bit that overhangs.........

Tell them to get fucked. Surely they can't make her pay 50 grand to cut down her tree on her land? Fair enough maybe they could make her cut down the overhang but that's it.

If the tree was on their land they would still take the tree down, and wear the cost themselves wouldn't they. ?

I assume so. Sadly your friend is paying for the bureaucracy that is involved in areas like this. As someone suggested I'd ask for an itemised quote. They're probably trying pass off costs for other work being done at the same time onto your friend. It is disgusting.

I assume so. Sadly your friend is paying for the bureaucracy that is involved in areas like this. As someone suggested I'd ask for an itemised quote. They're probably trying pass off costs for other work being done at the same time onto your friend. It is disgusting.
I've told her not to pay a penny until quote received. Also I've suggested she says they aren't allowed on her land until she receives the quote and decides how she wants to proceed.

Sorry, don't have any money to spare. What are they going to do about it? Not even being arsey are owt but what on earth can they do about someone not having any money to cover for something unexpected like this?

50 grand ffs. Oh aye, no bother Network Rail. :lol:

Sorry, don't have any money to spare. What are they going to do about it? Not even being arsey are owt but what on earth can they do about someone not having any money to cover for something unexpected like this?

50 grand ffs. Oh aye, no bother Network Rail. :lol:
Well exactly! I don't know how much money she has, but maybe they'd attach a debt to her house to be paid off after her death?

(I don't think the cost is fair anyway, whether or not she could afford to pay)

Well exactly! I don't know how much money she has, but maybe they'd attach a debt to her house to be paid off after her death?

(I don't think the cost is fair anyway, whether or not she could afford to pay)
I'd be amazed if they can do that tbh. Don't debts die with the owner?

Anyway, good luck. I'd be amazed if she ends up paying anything and should be advised to offer up nothing as a compromise.

Keep us updated marra. I've been incensed by this shite. Hopefully common sense prevails.

This, I've got no advice to offer but it sounds f***ing ridiculous. I'm hoping it ends up getting made into some sort of film where the little old lady not only gets out of paying anything but uncovers that it's a nationwide scam and gets NR put out of business. That might be a bit optimistic like, I've probably just watched The Rainmaker too recently

This, I've got no advice to offer but it sounds f***ing ridiculous. I'm hoping it ends up getting made into some sort of film where the little old lady not only gets out of paying anything but uncovers that it's a nationwide scam and gets NR put out of business. That might be a bit optimistic like, I've probably just watched The Rainmaker too recently
Idris Elba as the old lady
Gary Oldman as the NR CEO
Vinny Jones as an NR henchman

I'd watch it. :lol:

the lady needs legal advice and the deeds checked to establish it is on her land. as suggested it may be the fence has erected around the tree for easiness sake.
have you contacted cab for advice

I had a similar problem a few years back. Balked at the price so after a few pints decided to take matters into my own hands. Got a load of ropes and tied an intricate web to it, then hacked it down with an axe. Tree collapsed, ropes stretched, turned it into a flying battering ram. Clipped my side as it swung insanely round the garden like Tommy Miller on acid and bruised my ribs. So upshot is, ill do it for you for a tenner.

Any update mate?
The Railway company cut the tree down to house roof height. Pretty much all the overhang. The old lady in question feels the remaining trunk is reasonably safe now, and even though it is growing again, it will unlikely cause her property , or the railway, any damage now.

The Railway company just came along the railway tracks with their equipment and cut it down. IIRC it took about three days to do. No charge or paperwork involved. They could have spared her the worry by just saying they were going to cut the overhanging branches at no fee. The poor old lady had a long while worrying about the cost and potential damage.

The Railway company cut the tree down to house roof height. Pretty much all the overhang. The old lady in question feels the remaining trunk is reasonably safe now, and even though it is growing again, it will unlikely cause her property , or the railway, any damage now.

The Railway company just came along the railway tracks with their equipment and cut it down. IIRC it took about three days to do. No charge or paperwork involved. They could have spared her the worry by just saying they were going to cut the overhanging branches at no fee. The poor old lady had a long while worrying about the cost and potential damage.
Pleased it worked out ok in the end.

The estimated price is a lot more than £600.

Briefly there is a tree in an old lady's garden that overhangs a network railway line (a siding that is only used a few times each day as opposed to a major route line)

It is old and a few branches have come down. Network Rail have decided it has to go (fair enough), but they have told the old lady it is at her expense. I've told her to let them take the tree down and chase her for the money but she wants to do things properly(?) but can't afford what they are estimating. She has house insurance but doesn't think the tree itself is insured.
Is it more of a BRANCH line ;)

Back