Calling tree fellers ! Update.

That's the thing, most gardeners/tree surgeons don't work from Nov-Feb so it's a bit of a bastard. Nice having Xmas off but you have to save for those 3 months off... which is a twat.
It’s also one of the most dangerous jobs going, no union or sick pay, no pension unless you save up

Just don’t catch it by the chain marra
I caught it like a baby, both arms outstretched. Luckily the chain had stopped moving because the button wasn't being pressed so it was just chugging away in my arms. Knacked like, he'd dropped it 30ft the tit.

Not my finest moment. I just didn't want to damage the chainsaw :lol: Cost nearly £400 that bugger.

I caught it like a baby, both arms outstretched. Luckily the chain had stopped moving because the button wasn't being pressed so it was just chugging away in my arms. Knacked like, he'd dropped it 30ft the tit.

Not my finest moment. I just didn't want to damage the chainsaw :lol: Cost nearly £400 that bugger.
You not fancy doing a few jobs today? Nowt wrong with a bit breeze

J

Is the line electrified?
It is, but it is a siding and only has perhaps ten trains a day. It is a line that enables trains to swap routes.

I’ll do it for 25k like
Amazing how many boxes of matches are on offer at a thousand £ or so! ;)

That was my first thought.:lol:

I would get a solicitor involved.

has she contacted her insurer? Surely this sort of huge expense is why we get our property insured.
On a quick phone call they said the tree isn't insured! I will get her to pursue this further though.

Last edited:
It is, but it is a siding and only has perhaps ten trains a day. It is a line that enables trains to swap routes.
I was thinking about branches taking the line down. If it wasn't electrified it would be a lot easier to lop bits off and then clear them off the rails if there are only 10 trains a day.

She could try seeing if they will take down everything that is overhanging at their cost and then sorting out what is left at her cost.

It appears that it is only expensive due to there being a railway line there! That's not her fault that they decided to put that on their land! They should pay for the tree to be cut back imo.

She could try seeing if they will take down everything that is overhanging at their cost and then sorting out what is left at her cost.
That is a point I will put to her. She can bear that in mind perhaps when the quote comes in. Thanks. I think she needs the written quote and then perhaps I can sit with her and help her decide how to proceed.

That is a point I will put to her. She can bear that in mind perhaps when the quote comes in. Thanks. I think she needs the written quote and then perhaps I can sit with her and help her decide how to proceed.
have you tried a pm to janiep for a quick bit of without predjudice advice

I’ve carried out consultancy work in the past for contractors developing sites adjacent to active railway lines and can say unfortunately, that some of the permissions needed to carry out the work are indeed required and it’s this element which is likely to be pushing the cost up.

An independent tree surgeon may need to apply for permission and permits before starting the work, so the actual cost of removing the tree is far lass than quoted, it’s everything else which adds to the cost, specifically if the roots are near the track and an assessment of heave needs to be carried out so it doesn’t affect the track.

Ask to look at the quotation when it arrives to see what they’ve allowed for.

What is the story with NR moving the boundary?

I think you're on the right track (!) here. They may have included things like stopping power to the lines while the work is done, etc, etc. Risk assess, method statements, men to watch the line.

Back