Calling tree fellers ! Update.

Just a bit of a quick query please, any idea (rough of course)of a price to take down and remove a grey poplar. It is about twice the size of a standard house perhaps a little taller. Apparantly rotten so can't be climbed.
Thanks!

A lot. I was quoted 600 quid for a similar job.

I’d rather let the thing come down in heavy wind and claim on the house insurance tbh

The estimated price is a lot more than £600.

Briefly there is a tree in an old lady's garden that overhangs a network railway line (a siding that is only used a few times each day as opposed to a major route line)

It is old and a few branches have come down. Network Rail have decided it has to go (fair enough), but they have told the old lady it is at her expense. I've told her to let them take the tree down and chase her for the money but she wants to do things properly(?) but can't afford what they are estimating. She has house insurance but doesn't think the tree itself is insured.

The estimated price is a lot more than £600.

Briefly there is a tree in an old lady's garden that overhangs a network railway line (a siding that is only used a few times each day as opposed to a major route line)

It is old and a few branches have come down. Network Rail have decided it has to go (fair enough), but they have told the old lady it is at her expense. I've told her to let them take the tree down and chase her for the money but she wants to do things properly(?) but can't afford what they are estimating. She has house insurance but doesn't think the tree itself is insured.

How much have they quoted?

It's eye wateringly high and enough to kill an old lady with worry.

I've been looking up local tree surgeons tonight to see if they can give a reasonable cost for the job. (even though they won't be able to do the job because of access to network rail etc), but at least she could then go back to Network Rail and say they are charging too much.

Sounds like network rail are being twats.

Surely if they want it taken down, they should pay for it?
Not sure of the legalities of where the old wifey stands if the tree is on her land if she is liable or not.

Could always just set it alight one night

Does she live in a conservation area?

Tell her to contact her local councillor and ask for some funding from the Community Chest.

Go back to NR and say she will get some quotes, take an average and that’s what they’ll get.

Does she live in a conservation area?

Tell her to contact her local councillor and ask for some funding from the Community Chest.

Go back to NR and say she will get some quotes, take an average and that’s what they’ll get.

I don't think it is a conservation area.

I''ll tell her to contact councillor - thanks
I think getting some quotes is a good idea and I have sent her some links to local tree companies.

Tell her to tell them to go fuck themselves.
Network rail can not make decisions about anything on her land.
They are allowed to lop any part of the tree what crosses the boundary encroaching on to their land.
However she is responsible for the costs to dispose of it.

The estimate currently is £40,000 to £50,000 . I have told her to pay nothing currently.

Back