Calling SMB veg growers

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
Mate.
Get a length of guttering. Fill with compost. Put seeds in. Water every day. When they come through, slide whole thing out into shallow trench in the bed. Start them in greenhouse first, then hsrden off before planting out. Done it for 10 years and works every time.
Never ever soaked them.👍
Don't have a greenhouse I'm afraid.
But I did make a small raised bed for them and tried 2 goes so far, and didn't get so much as a single leaf.

I think I'll have to try small pots on a windowsill - might as well, since nowt else has worked.

But I did make a small raised bed for them and tried 2 goes so far, and didn't get so much as a single leaf.

I think I'll have to try small pots on a windowsill - might as well, since nowt else has worked.
Should be alright outside now mate. Could probably plant them straight into the bed now. Might still have time. They will grow if kept watered mate.

I haven't done my peas yet either. I soak them in water first but only overnight like I would the sweet pea. Then straight into the ground. Cutting the hedges at allotment at the moment as it needs to be done before Midsummer and it is a bit of a jobbie for me these days. But when that's all done next week I will be sorting the peas.

Onions and salad and herbs are growing like crazy this year, spuds too. And I have already picked the first strawberries. Looking at the other berries and fruits it could be a bumper year. Nut bushes look promising, too. The salad is borderline mad the way they have grown. I need to start eating them soon and plant new ones. Might take a picture of them when am back there later on. For something as simple as salad the ones this year are rather proud-making. :lol:

Anyone dealt with leek rust on garlic plants? It's only happened in the latter stages of growth. They're almost ready to come up. Not sure whether to just pull them up now because of the rust.

The peas I sowed direct in the beds haven't done a thing after 3-4 weeks. Put another few in at the weekend - am I too late now?
Spring onions and carrots absolutely nothing either :(
I haven't done peas for ages. This year put in a plastic jug of water on the kitchen windowsill. They had sprouted in 48 hrs then straight into compost in modules which I put straight outside. Did this 2 weeks ago and will put them in the ground this weekend. Seeds were 49p from Lidl.

After about 2 weeks in the jar of water (which I kept changing) on the windowsill, no signs of anything from the pea seeds.
Picked one up and its soft now

Confused???
2 days maximum so they arent crinkly anymore
Mate.
Get a length of guttering. Fill with compost. Put seeds in. Water every day. When they come through, slide whole thing out into shallow trench in the bed. Start them in greenhouse first, then hsrden off before planting out. Done it for 10 years and works every time.
Never ever soaked them.👍
This is the way I always did them, I posted it earier. Soaking them just shortens the time to germination by allowing them to absorb moisture they would otherwise have to get from the soil. Stands to reason its quicker. In the greenhouse with guttering they can germinate in as little as a week.

Last edited:
Anyone dealt with leek rust on garlic plants? It's only happened in the latter stages of growth. They're almost ready to come up. Not sure whether to just pull them up now because of the rust.
Pulled mine yesterday. Good crop this year. Just drying them off now.

Got flowers on the peas too. Good start to the year this year👍
Nothing has killed my carrots yet either👍

Last edited:
Had a mare getting any of last years lettuce seeds to germinate, I just don't think they had long enough before the weather turned. Managed to get 3 plants away though after about 3 tried x 15!
Hopefully they'll grow and go to seed, and at least I'll be able to get seeds for next year
(I do have loads more "seeds" though, so I will have another go in a month or so, for a 2nd batch).

Attempt #4 with the Peas - all planted into seed trays, will keep moist and under my LED lights - I assume I should keep them warm? If not, then they can go somewhere else.

Had a mare getting any of last years lettuce seeds to germinate, I just don't think they had long enough before the weather turned. Managed to get 3 plants away though after about 3 tried x 15!
Hopefully they'll grow and go to seed, and at least I'll be able to get seeds for next year
(I do have loads more "seeds" though, so I will have another go in a month or so, for a 2nd batch).

Attempt #4 with the Peas - all planted into seed trays, will keep moist and under my LED lights - I assume I should keep them warm? If not, then they can go somewhere else.
It’s June. If the soul’s not warm enough by now it never will be. Just hoy a black bin bag over for a couple of days.

2 days maximum so they arent crinkly anymore

This is the way I always did them, I posted it earier. Soaking them just shortens the time to germination by allowing them to absorb moisture they would otherwise have to get from the soil. Stands to reason its quicker. In the greenhouse with guttering they can germinate in as little as a week.
Not saying soaking doesn't work mate, just I've never done it.

Should work mate. Should be warm enough in the bed now mate, so long as we dont get a freaky frost.

Last edited:
First salad heads of the season going home with me today. Each the size of a football. My best ever attempt at growing salad heads.

Logon or register to see this image

Taking four home and have planted four tiny, new ones to replace them.

Peas have been in water overnight and will go into the ground today, too. And time to dig up the garlic as well.

Lovely day here today. Seventeen degrees, dry but cloudy with a bit of sun. And a light breeze. Perfect allotment weather. Got my sandy coloured short-trousered dungarees on, a blue and black lumberjack shirt and my trusted woolly flat cap. Standing with one of the salad heads just now in my hands while puffing dear ol' pipey I felt like pure allotment. :lol:

I planted some cabbage, and other under netting. Have been doing this for the last couple of years without much of a problem. this year though something eating all the leaves. We do have a flock or rather fat pigeons but I would have thought they would have bother getting through the netting. Not got much problem with slug or snails as wait till dark recently and no sign of any. Its been suggested it could be mice?? and other ideas?

PS they haven't touched my swede / turnip plants that under netting ?

Bloody birds are going mental with my 75% composted mulch that I put a thick layer down. They are smashing it all over the place every day. Looking for worms I imagine.

Peas finally germinated in seed trays under my LED lights. Well, 3-4 of them have. No sign from the other 10. Starting to think its fairly duff seeds. Suppose ebay isn't THE most reliable place to buy from!

Bloody birds are going mental with my 75% composted mulch that I put a thick layer down. They are smashing it all over the place every day. Looking for worms I imagine.

Peas finally germinated in seed trays under my LED lights. Well, 3-4 of them have. No sign from the other 10. Starting to think its fairly duff seeds. Suppose ebay isn't THE most reliable place to buy from!
I planted 40 peas and only half have grown. Put them in garden and they were just starting to grown and it looks like one of the fat pidgeons has sat on one and snapped it in two.

Peas and carrots up behind them
View media item 8316Corn
View media item 8315
Not a bad start👍👍👍
Something will f***ing kill them.
Either you have the cleanest greenhouse glass ever on the side of your greenhouse, or someone has nicked it ;)

Not sure what happened to my peas this year. Started them off in modules and they were looking good. Planted them out and none grew. A couple flowered and produced tiny pods but all stopped at the 15-20cm height I planted them out at. I'll try getting a row of new seeds in this weekend, and do them straight outside.

Either you have the cleanest greenhouse glass ever on the side of your greenhouse, or someone has nicked it ;)

Not sure what happened to my peas this year. Started them off in modules and they were looking good. Planted them out and none grew. A couple flowered and produced tiny pods but all stopped at the 15-20cm height I planted them out at. I'll try getting a row of new seeds in this weekend, and do them straight outside.
🤣
Just a bit anal when it comes to keeping the garden clean and tidy marra. Plus, got tomato blight one year, so don't like any kind of mildew or moss or stuff getting hold.

Always do my peas in guttering to start, in the greenhouse, harden off, then slide it into a shallow trough after the last frost. Worked every year. Only grow enough to pick and eat raw while pottering around. Little treat for the gardener.😁😁😁

🤣
Just a bit anal when it comes to keeping the garden clean and tidy marra. Plus, got tomato blight one year, so don't like any kind of mildew or moss or stuff getting hold.

Always do my peas in guttering to start, in the greenhouse, harden off, then slide it into a shallow trough after the last frost. Worked every year. Only grow enough to pick and eat raw while pottering around. Little treat for the gardener.😁😁😁
Just be glad you went for glass rather than polycarbonate. I was not sure how much I would use a greenhouse (which was silly when I had a fair sized veg plot anyway) so went towards the cheaper end. As well as being difficult to clean, you get water trapped in the couragated bits in the middle of the panel and then moss grows up it. I've got some that are green on the inside. The saving grace is that I lose half the panels in high wind so they get replaced with clean ones on an annual basis.

I do fancy designing and building my own wooden frame one at some point, with a shed end for tool storage.

Spread the compost out a bit to leave 4" free in the beds, and filled them with woodchip this afternoon. Hopefully the birds won't bother with it now - it was like a crime scene every day man :lol:

Still only 4 out of 12 pea seeds germinated, I think they're shit. But I'll get them shifted tomorrow and stick a fresh batch on and more lettuce too as I've still only got 3 very weak looking plants from the last batch.
Not sure if my potting soil is any good - 50% coco coir, 25% perlite, and no more than 25% compost. Maybe I need to pot stuff on into 50% compost once they large enough to move?

By the way, does anyone think we should merge this thread with the "What are you growing?" one? What are you growing?
:lol: a knaa!

Last edited:
Not sure this time, I know that usually travels up the plant in the autumn though. This looks more like fungus spots - doesn't blight affect the stems too? I'm not seeing that.
Could be wrong though.

Logon or register to see this image
Cut away most of the sick looking stems a few weeks back as there were suckers ready to take over. Just removed the rest now and the plants look healthy, although a bit "thin". They're flowering, so might end up ok?
Almost all that basil is dead or at best, hasn't grown a jot since I put them in.

I do wonder if the combination of "worst soil ever" topped with a 6" mulch of unfinished compost wasn't the greatest plan ever :lol: Oh well, now that there's also 4" of woodchip on top, those beds should be great next year.

By the way, does anyone think we should merge this thread with the "Calling SMB veg growers" one? Calling SMB veg growers

Back