Call centre / cold callers

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fair enough but you can still be polite or even just hang up...it will be like water off a ducks back to the caller.

My comment is more aimed at the fact he originally says "maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job...".
For a lot of people, this is a decent job because they don't have any other skills and, as I said in my post, its better than them being on the dole.

I don't and never have done cold calling btw but have worked as senior management in contact centres.

I understand people need to earn a living but I also see the point the other guy is making. The callers are interrupting people's lives in some cases a few times a day.

There's a phone you can buy which screens all calls, I got one for my mother. Might cost extra for some but she's on Sky evenings/wkend deal, no extra cost. Basically asks the caller to say who they are and you hear that. You can choose to accept or decline the call. You can also save numbers which you want to come straight through to you. Can't remember model, will add later.

Annoying as they are, the people on the other end are just doing their jobs. I'm polite but firm and tell them I'm not interested. I'd never be abusive down the phone to them
If it gets too bad, change your number as I did about 6 months ago. Phone used to ring 3 times a day with various "companies" offering their services.

Annoying as they are, the people on the other end are just doing their jobs. I'm polite but firm and tell them I'm not interested. I'd never be abusive down the phone to them
If it gets too bad, change your number as I did about 6 months ago. Phone used to ring 3 times a day with various "companies" offering their services.

If it's somebody just trying to sell me something I'll just say "No thanks" and hang up.

If it's "Our records show you had an accident..." I'll waste their time because they're lying. If it's a "Our system shows you have a virus on your..." then I'll waste their time because they're trying to con me.

I had a phone call from Ron or whoever in India who said he was from the Telephone Preference Service and he wanted to check something on my 'account'. He eventually wanted to check something on my bank card - so of course I was saying 'why on earth would you need to do that?' He then got very stroppy and was shrieking at me to go and get my card. I told him to get lost and could still hear him ranting as I slammed the phone down. Ridiculous.

Just give them a false bank card/ credit card number. That really confuses/agitates them.Then tell them that they have written it down incorrectly and to try it again

If it's somebody just trying to sell me something I'll just say "No thanks" and hang up.

If it's "Our records show you had an accident..." I'll waste their time because they're lying. If it's a "Our system shows you have a virus on your..." then I'll waste their time because they're trying to con me.
The PPI and the Accident ones are just chancing their arm - they get a list of phone numbers and aut-dial them in the hope you have had an accident or PPI. There's no scam, it's just pure cold-calling. The "your PC has a virus" shit is annoying though, I once asked them to hold the line then transferred them back to their own call centre and conferenced the call

Had one on the phone the other day asking about my accident I'd had , my reply was which one , that confused the young scouser for starters.

He then asked for my wife by name ,( she'd had an accident about two years ago ) , told him it was a bit unlikely as she'd left me six months ago and because of that he'd be better off removing our details from his database.

She was in the kitchen sorting the bait at the time

People are sick to death if it tbh. When I was with 3mobile I would get 2 a day :lol: I didn't have the patients to do some of the recommended replies, I just hung up

I don't know if it's true (someone could possibly confirm it) but I heard they call a few numbers at the same time and when 1 answers they cut the rest off. It's a quicker method of bothering people :lol:

At our place they don't , just so many don't answer or ring to voicemail they don't click to join conversation until they hear a voice which is why you will get the slight delay

Unless they have an Indian accent.

Maybe if your firm and firms like it didn't make unsolicited calls and interrupt people's lives then they may not receive rude replies down the phone.

They're not cold calling , they are calling existing customers , I can understand rude to a point but calling a young lass a **** etc is taking it a bit far

Last edited:
If I don't know the number I just don't answer. Obviously if it's a business that's not an option.

This.

The only time i answer the landline is if Mrs R has arranged a call or delivery with call beforehand. Apart from that i just ignore calls. Got two this morning on my mobile. First one, phone was right in front of me, 0845 number. I just blocked it. Wifey was stood next to me and said "that might not be a junk call. The bastards ring again 5 minutes later, same number, so i answer it. It was a recorded message junk call.

There's a phone you can buy which screens all calls, I got one for my mother. Might cost extra for some but she's on Sky evenings/wkend deal, no extra cost. Basically asks the caller to say who they are and you hear that. You can choose to accept or decline the call. You can also save numbers which you want to come straight through to you. Can't remember model, will add later.
BT6000 series. Got her one on half price offer from Amazon. Not one cold call since.

Yep. Ive got similar purchased from bt. Model is bt8600 and have had for about 7 months. I have not had one cold caller since. None of them have even bothered to declare themselves or leave message. Highly recommend this model

My thoughts exactly.

If they insist on carrying on, I have some fun. I have been known to try and sell them stuff.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't bullshit.
It would be a lot better if it went

"Good morning I'm selling insurance"
"No thank you"
Hangs up

Instead of
"Good morning, how are you today?"
"Good thank you"
"I notice you own a car or company"
"No I don't"
Would you be interested in insurance"
"No, I don't have a car"
"We can offer life insurance cheaper than you're currently paying"
"I don't have life insurance"
"We will also offer a better service"
"A better service than what?"

And so on and so on

It's the Indian sounding people doing surveys that I seem to get most cold calls from. They just want you to answer some simple household questions and they will never bother you again. Aye right! You'll sell my data to eleventy billion companies and I'll get plagued to death with calls about washing machine insurance, Sky box cover, PPI claims and so on :evil:

I like testing their overcoming objection skills by keep saying "I'm sorry, I don't give out personal information to strangers" until they hang up.

I just keep,them talking, titally wastung their time. Young ladies, I tell them what a gorgeous voice/accent they have. Usually does the trick.

It's the Indian sounding people doing surveys that I seem to get most cold calls from. They just want you to answer some simple household questions and they will never bother you again. Aye right! You'll sell my data to eleventy billion companies and I'll get plagued to death with calls about washing machine insurance, Sky box cover, PPI claims and so on :evil:

I like testing their overcoming objection skills by keep saying "I'm sorry, I don't give out personal information to strangers" until they hang up.
I have the same problem Alfie from Calcutta was a real pest.

I had a phone call from Ron or whoever in India who said he was from the Telephone Preference Service and he wanted to check something on my 'account'. He eventually wanted to check something on my bank card - so of course I was saying 'why on earth would you need to do that?' He then got very stroppy and was shrieking at me to go and get my card. I told him to get lost and could still hear him ranting as I slammed the phone down. Ridiculous.
I had a similar call and I told her I didn't have a bank account, she insisted I must have but I just denied I had. After 5 mins I admitted I had one but wasn't gonna tell her. She became very aggressive but they've never bothered me since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back