Call centre / cold callers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the same calls from someone to be from talktalk, it goes something like this
Them "Hello sir I am from talk..."
Me "You ain't from talktalk, so who are you and how did you get this number?"
Them"Erm Hello sir..."
Me "Listen Ive spoke to talktalk and they have no Idea who you are, so again who are you and where the fuck did you get this number"
Them" Hello si...>"
Me "Waiting "
they hang up

I once kept a windows salesman on the phone for a good twenty minutes talking about windows, doors and conservatories. Trying to close the deal by arranging for a colleague to call to measure up for a new conservatory, He asked for my address. I started "Flat 12, 4th Floor, 206 Lochend Road..." when he hung up.

Just people trying to make a living at the end of the day like, just tell them i'm not interested and that's it.

I had one (despite being registered with the TPS) who wouldnt leave me alone. I asked several times for them to delete me from their records, reminding them they had a legal obligation to do so. At one point ended in a heated row that they for some bizarre reason couldnt delete me an that they werent breaking any laws. This went on for 3 or 4 months. Sometimes theyd just hang up when questioned other times they argued with me. Kept reporting them. Eventually stopped getting them. They are utter scumbags these companies.

I had one (despite being registered with the TPS) who wouldnt leave me alone. I asked several times for them to delete me from their records, reminding them they had a legal obligation to do so. At one point ended in a heated row that they for some bizarre reason couldnt delete me an that they werent breaking any laws. This went on for 3 or 4 months. Sometimes theyd just hang up when questioned other times they argued with me. Kept reporting them. Eventually stopped getting them. They are utter scumbags these companies.

The companies are but the employee's are just doing what they are being told.

I start off keen, then test their commitment to a sale by getting a bit flirty, and then dirty (male or femail). They always hang up, and i've made their day a bit shitter so its a win win.

I get the same calls from someone to be from talktalk, it goes something like this
Them "Hello sir I am from talk..."
Me "You ain't from talktalk, so who are you and how did you get this number?"
Them"Erm Hello sir..."
Me "Listen Ive spoke to talktalk and they have no Idea who you are, so again who are you and where the fuck did you get this number"
Them" Hello si...>"
Me "Waiting "
they hang up
Go on Gaz

Say to them in a fair but firm voice do you want a blanket and a hot cup of tea?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I don't understand is the amount of times I answer and get hung up on after a few seconds of silence and clicking.

Then when I check my voicemail the same.

So if they don't want to talk to me in person and they don't want to leave a message what's the crack?

It's my business line so it's not my missus' shag partner before anyone suggests that!

I detest these cold callers. Parasites on modern society. Don't give me crap about young lads trying to get ahead, there was three million unemployed when I was a nipper and no call centers then. I have more respect for hookers, at least they are plying an honest trade.

The call centres have an automatic dialler. To make employee time more efficient, it's programmed that every time an employee finishes a call, then next one pops up ready to take. Sometimes it dials too many numbers and there isn't a person to do your call, so you just hear the silence and clicking. Basically it's because they'd rather waste your time than their employees time!

I just tell them I subscribe to the telephone preference service.
Unless they have an Indian accent.

I shadowed some lad in my work a while back and was pretty shocked how rude people were , especially women - just say no thank you and hang up , just young lads and lasses in the main being paid very little and trying to earn a decent wage
Maybe if your firm and firms like it didn't make unsolicited calls and interrupt people's lives then they may not receive rude replies down the phone.

Last edited:
I just say no thanks and then put the phone down. The calls are annoying but it is just as easy to be polite as rude.
I agree with king of um above that it is more annoying if you are expecting a call from someone you are worried about or when an elderly person gets upset by them.

I will confess to cold calling. I was unemployed for a few months and rather than sign on I took anything. This was 'anything'. It was a few years back

The product: bathroom and kitchen cupboards.

The 'call centre': a draughty, flea infested (literally), smelly small attic 'office' in Stanley.

The pitch: 'You've been selected for a free visit by a salesman and a discount' type thing

The 'database': the supervisor would give you a page torn out of a telephone directory. You crossed the names off as they hung up, made the appointment (rare, but my figures were good) or demanded that you remove them from the 'database'; which was... crossing the name off the photocopied telephone directory page.

Call preference service existed because it was always being yelled at me. I often found myself chatting to old dears and subtly persuading them that they really didn't need a discount on kitchen cupboards. I had to be careful not to be overheard doing that.

I survived an offer of a management job in their 'call centre' (I had double digit IQ and all my own teeth - so I was a shoo in) and got other employment at the other end of the country reasonably quickly. I probably would have lasted another fortnight at most.

Maybe they're sick of being interrupted when looking after their kids by calls which don't even connect to a person for ten seconds, or people who won''t take no thank you for an answer, or who lie to you on the phone ("We've been told you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault"), or who get aggressive if you don't hand over your details to some pushy stranger, or who repeatedly phone you back over and over - in my case when my mum was in and out of intensive care and I jumped every time the phone went, or who phoned her over and over when she was at home, but very ill, and easily confused or frightened by persistent calls.

Maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job, rather than at the expense of the people they call. Company wants me to buy something? Advertise it. Don't phone me when I'm eating my dinner after a nine hour day at work. Imagine if everyone with a service to sell did that, or came round your house. So what makes this one special?

Do you genuinely think it's the employees who making the plans to call you back because, if you do, you're wrong.

There is no actual phone in most of these places, so the employees are sitting with just a headset on which is connected to an automatic dialler.
This dialled feeds phones numbers in and autodials for the employee...that is also why there is a pause between you answering and then speaking.

I can't see how you, or anyone else, can have a problem with these people working instead of being on the dole.
Have a problem with the company...not the employee.

Do you genuinely think it's the employees who making the plans to call you back because, if you do, you're wrong.

There is no actual phone in most of these places, so the employees are sitting with just a headset on which is connected to an automatic dialler.
This dialled feeds phones numbers in and autodials for the employee...that is also why there is a pause between you answering and then speaking.

I can't see how you, or anyone else, can have a problem with these people working instead of being on the dole.
Have a problem with the company...not the employee

The problem is that the person on the other end of the phone is the only contact that the punter has. I don't get shirty unless they don't take no for an answer or it is at a daft time.

The problem is that the person on the other end of the phone is the only contact that the punter has. I don't get shirty unless they don't take no for an answer or it is at a daft time.

That's fair enough but you can still be polite or even just hang up...it will be like water off a ducks back to the caller.

My comment is more aimed at the fact he originally says "maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job...".
For a lot of people, this is a decent job because they don't have any other skills and, as I said in my post, its better than them being on the dole.

I don't and never have done cold calling btw but have worked as senior management in contact centres.

That's fair enough but you can still be polite or even just hang up...it will be like water off a ducks back to the caller.

My comment is more aimed at the fact he originally says "maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job...".
For a lot of people, this is a decent job because they don't have any other skills and, as I said in my post, its better than them being on the dole.

I don't and never have done cold calling btw but have worked as senior management in contact centres.

it may be a decent job for them, but it's not a decent job for the people who find the calls annoying or intrusive. As most of us are in the latter group, that's what we care about. And people might have a little more sympathy for the poor lambs on the phones if not for all the times when they are lying, aggressive or abusive themselves even if you give a polite no thanks, etc.

There's plenty other unskilled work out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back