Call centre / cold callers

Status
Not open for further replies.

I shadowed some lad in my work a while back and was pretty shocked how rude people were , especially women - just say no thank you and hang up , just young lads and lasses in the main being paid very little and trying to earn a decent wage

What I don't understand is the amount of times I answer and get hung up on after a few seconds of silence and clicking.

Then when I check my voicemail the same.

So if they don't want to talk to me in person and they don't want to leave a message what's the crack?

It's my business line so it's not my missus' shag partner before anyone suggests that!

I detest these cold callers. Parasites on modern society. Don't give me crap about young lads trying to get ahead, there was three million unemployed when I was a nipper and no call centers then. I have more respect for hookers, at least they are plying an honest trade.

Tell you what really annoys me when you get home from a 3 day ketamine / cocaine sesh at 2am on a Monday morning and ring babestation on the tele and it turns out your in a queue so have to make do with nocking one out to someone elses conversation

I shadowed some lad in my work a while back and was pretty shocked how rude people were , especially women - just say no thank you and hang up , just young lads and lasses in the main being paid very little and trying to earn a decent wage

Maybe they're sick of being interrupted when looking after their kids by calls which don't even connect to a person for ten seconds, or people who won''t take no thank you for an answer, or who lie to you on the phone ("We've been told you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault"), or who get aggressive if you don't hand over your details to some pushy stranger, or who repeatedly phone you back over and over - in my case when my mum was in and out of intensive care and I jumped every time the phone went, or who phoned her over and over when she was at home, but very ill, and easily confused or frightened by persistent calls.

Maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job, rather than at the expense of the people they call. Company wants me to buy something? Advertise it. Don't phone me when I'm eating my dinner after a nine hour day at work. Imagine if everyone with a service to sell did that, or came round your house. So what makes this one special?

Ask them to hold on a minute put the phone down and carry on with something else for 10 mins, if they are still there do it again.
I do that. I also pretend to be deaf --

"Sorry can you speak up please I'm
A little hard of hearing.

"No sorry. Didn't get that.

They soon get sick, hang up and probably list me as either deaf or nut job.

Maybe they're sick of being interrupted when looking after their kids by calls which don't even connect to a person for ten seconds, or people who won''t take no thank you for an answer, or who lie to you on the phone ("We've been told you've been in an accident that wasn't your fault"), or who get aggressive if you don't hand over your details to some pushy stranger, or who repeatedly phone you back over and over - in my case when my mum was in and out of intensive care and I jumped every time the phone went, or who phoned her over and over when she was at home, but very ill, and easily confused or frightened by persistent calls.

Maybe they should try to earn a decent wage doing a decent job, rather than at the expense of the people they call. Company wants me to buy something? Advertise it. Don't phone me when I'm eating my dinner after a nine hour day at work. Imagine if everyone with a service to sell did that, or came round your house. So what makes this one special?
Spot on mate.
Parasites of society.

When we moved into our gaff some company was trying to sell us a water softener or something like that with a $50 gift voucher. They would call five times a day. I used all the panorama of Mackem slang with them till they got the message.

Last edited:

I don't have a landline now because of them but they do ring mobile , I just say no and that I'm in the TPS and to remove from list - then block the number , not suggesting you do it but some people were just disgustingly rude.

For your mum I'd suggest the BT screening service , my mam got scammed last year and set it up and she's had no bother since

The mobile companies are the worst, especially around the time you are due for renewal. At one point I had them ringing me 20-30 times a day. They always changed their number too, so blocking was a waste of time. I took a screenshot for a pal, cos he thought I was exaggerating, but I wasn't.

Just people trying to make a living at the end of the day like, just tell them i'm not interested and that's it.

People are sick to death if it tbh. When I was with 3mobile I would get 2 a day :lol: I didn't have the patients to do some of the recommended replies, I just hung up

What I don't understand is the amount of times I answer and get hung up on after a few seconds of silence and clicking.

Then when I check my voicemail the same.

So if they don't want to talk to me in person and they don't want to leave a message what's the crack?

It's my business line so it's not my missus' shag partner before anyone suggests that!

I detest these cold callers. Parasites on modern society. Don't give me crap about young lads trying to get ahead, there was three million unemployed when I was a nipper and no call centers then. I have more respect for hookers, at least they are plying an honest trade.
I don't know if it's true (someone could possibly confirm it) but I heard they call a few numbers at the same time and when 1 answers they cut the rest off. It's a quicker method of bothering people :lol:

I get a load from some claim company admiral sold my details to last year. I've blocked most of their dozens of numbers and reported them to the information commissioner office as they've refused to remove my details and not to call again on at least 3 occasions. They even argued with mrs dinsdale who is a lawyer over the fact they were breaking the law with unsolicited calls and told her she was wrong. Imagine all those years as a senior lawyer for a local authority being told the law by some minimum wage kid on the end of a phone that she doesn't know her job :lol:

A few years ago my 3 year old daughter answered the phone and started talking, we let her crack on for 5 minutes to who we thought was her grandma, I took the phone off her as wanted to speak to my Mam...I was greeted by some Indian voice who opened up with the line "I've just been speaking to your Mam..." I've got absolutely no idea how on earth she thought that was anyone but a young bairn talking!

Exactly Nookie. I've been there when I was a lad and it's soul-destroying. Unless I'm in a very bad mood I just say "I'll stop you there please. I'm very busy and I don't need what you're selling. But thanks for the call anyway and I hope you have a good day. Can you please take my number off your database because no matter how many times you ring me I will not buy so you are wasting your time".

Usually that sees them off. If it doesn't I simply hang up.

Its the daft ones that ring me at work on an afternoon - can I help you with real estate in north Carolina?, can we help you with your erp - justvlet them waffle on over the speaker then after I've made a coffee and been for a piss tell them I'm in the Czech republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back