Calgon discussion thread

Do you mind stating your stance on calgon if you’re going to enjoy the fruits of this interesting thread I’ve created please.

Do you mind stating your stance on calgon if you’re going to enjoy the fruits of this interesting thread I’ve created please.

Never known or heard of anyone ever buying stuff like that.

just shows you how gullible people are and how powerful the power of advertising is to those barmy individuals

I believe the Kielder/Tees line started off with good intentions but with subsequent bacteria/peat and water clouding it became a source of industry use only water. Don't know what it's for now. Redundant?

Yes, mothballed in case industry returns to Teeside on a significant scale again. I believe they flush the system to prevent stagnation in the pipeline, but that is infrequent and they treat the discharge.

Oxfordshire has very hard water. Whenever I visit Sunderland i only need half the amount of shampoo or shower gel to get the same amount of suds and the effects of washing in such soft water on hair and skin is very noticeable. In Oxfordshire using Calgon really does help. Limescale is a real problem keeping shower cubicles and sinks etc clean. Totally different in Sunderland.

Anyone use this? I think it’s a massive con me. Washing machines supposedly last longer with calgon. My last washer lasted 12 years and I was tired of it all by the time it went kaput. If I’d spent £100 a year on calgon I highly doubt I’d have got another few year out of it. Washers cost fuck all anyway who cares if it blows up.
For just a little more than £100 per year you could buy the salt for a water softener. You wouldn't need Calgon nor would you use as much soap and detergent because you would have soft water throughout. Hot water tanks taps kettles and pipes would also be clear of lime scale. It also a lot easier to keep baths showers and sinks clean because there's no soap scum build up.

For just a little more than £100 per year you could buy the salt for a water softener. You wouldn't need Calgon nor would you use as much soap and detergent because you would have soft water throughout. Hot water tanks taps kettles and pipes would also be clear of lime scale. It also a lot easier to keep baths showers and sinks clean because there's no soap scum build up.
I've got one. It's great.

I had my washer fixed the other month and the problem was a fault with the element. The lad showed me it explaining how limescale had corroded it and had blown it. He then said nowt I could do as the water "this side of the a19" was notorious for it and the only thing I could try was using calgon to try and stop it happening again.

He also said you should definitely run your machine on a hot wash at least once a month.

The area of Southeast Sunderland running through to Seaham etc has very hard water abstracted from boreholes in the magnesian limestone. Northumbria Water has got a grid of sorts where a number of valves across the region can be opened and closed so different water can mix.

There is 2 separate mains that run into the town centre. One with hard and the other with soft water.
Very informative.
I take it that you are in the industry?

I put the washer on an empty 90°C wash after I've washed the dogs bed and door mats. It gets rid of all the hair and gunk in the machine.

My friends little boy used to sing "washing machines live longer with Calpol" 😂
If you have a lemon or orange on the turn , cut it in half and stick it in with the dishes a few times and it does the same job. Feel free to send this into Bella or Chat.

Back