Calgon discussion thread

OOOSH YEAH

Striker
Anyone use this? I think it’s a massive con me. Washing machines supposedly last longer with calgon. My last washer lasted 12 years and I was tired of it all by the time it went kaput. If I’d spent £100 a year on calgon I highly doubt I’d have got another few year out of it. Washers cost fuck all anyway who cares if it blows up.

On a related note, I’ve noticed the amount of calcium in the water has gone up of late. The kettle needs descaling once a month if not more (used to be every six month) and the cold water dispenser on the fridge is beginning to jam open. Something is afoot.

Washers cost fuck all and Calgon costs a fortune:lol: Bet You use a laundrette anyhow now your lass has the house;)
Anyone use this? I think it’s a massive con me. Washing machines supposedly last longer with calgon. My last washer lasted 12 years and I was tired of it all by the time it went kaput. If I’d spent £100 a year on calgon I highly doubt I’d have got another few year out of it. Washers cost fuck all anyway who cares if it blows up.

On a related note, I’ve noticed the amount of calcium in the water has gone up of late. The kettle needs descaling once a month if not more (used to be every six month) and the cold water dispenser on the fridge is beginning to jam open. Something is afoot.

Coronavirus in the water supply marra.

Load of shite, snake oil. 12 years for a washer is a canny innings like.

If you know what the scale-forming salts are, and where they come from, you'll know whether to use a product like Cal(cium)gon or not. The NE is a medium to soft water so calcium and magnesium salts are relatively low. North Wales, the Lakes and all the way up through the Scottish highlands are very low and the water is very soft (no scaling salts, check your kettle element). London and the south east in particular sits on top of huge chalk deposits so ground water is loaded with calcium. Rainwater is pure, but when it falls it absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere and becomes acidic (mildly carbonic), and will absorb chalk present in the ground. Any area built on bedrock, slate or granite will be soft water. An area on chalk will be hard, to differing degrees. Buying Calgon in the NE is a waste of money unless you're using water on an industrial scale.

Last edited:

Back