Buying in the U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

Striker
Posted this in SMB but probably should have come here...

Off to Delaware (all I can think of is the wayne's World sketch when I hear that) plus going to spend a bit of time in New York around Christmas time. I was considering buying a new DSLR and was wondering if i'm better off waiting till I get there? Dollar isn't looking that strong against the pound right now so i'm guessing there isn't much in it. I know Delaware is a "tax haven" but thats's just for companies tax isn't it, which is why a load of large companies have shell companies there to save them a shit load of tax. This doesn't extend to electrical as well does it?

Anyway, do any City types know of any good forecasts on the dollar for the coming months? Or any photography enthusiasts have any tips for buying. @AB22 Easy Tiger ?

Looking at a Canon EOS 70D as want something that has good video capabilities too as a back up to my video camera.

Make sure it isn't boxed on the way back as there's a chance you'll have to pay import duty and vat on it

Make it look like you were using it and you'll have no bother

Maybe best to dispose of the packaging

Predicting the dollar rate is for mystic meg

What he said. The other thing to note is that your warranty will be invalid in the UK.

It's been a while since I was doing this sort of thing, but I'm not sure it's much of a saving TBH.

If you are going to get a grey one it might be nearly as cheap to get it in this country and there is a better chance of the warranty being honoured by the retailer then.

HDEW currently £529 with 3 year warranty (2 years from them, but they have been around a while)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back