1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying bats off ebay

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by SAFC2403, May 17, 2017.

1. WCC

WCC Full Back

Icarebecauseyoudo likes this.
  2. vat and import to pay I guess

3. This certainly has something to do with it.

Demand from India for English willow is treemendous (see what I did there?!) and has pushed the price up.

Getting premium clefts is a lot more expensive too hence the big price of the premium grade bats

Icarebecauseyoudo likes this.
  4. premium clefts :lol:

There's almost an argument here for buying bats as investments

5. I know what you're saying but you'd be amazed at the number of players (amateurs and pros) who insist on the equal spacing of or the number of grains on a blade.

I feel like shouting at them sometimes.

The best investment would be a few willow trees :lol:

6. Canna see the fuss myself

Mind I need it explained why kashmir willow is such a terrible option?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...ists-in-search-for-better-cricket-bat/6455130

peterleeyacker likes this.
  7. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

Most bats are made from trees around 25-30 years old. Most English willow bats come from one company js wrights. They have a replanting scheme so there is always a good selection of willow available.

8. But something is forcing up demand and hence prices . The success of the IPL I guess

9. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

It's to do with the climate. English willow grows on flood plains and our climate is so different to India. I think this results in Kashmir being more brittle.

Majority of companies grow the willow here and ship it off to India to be shaped cheaper and sent back. I know that's what gray nicolls do now as only pro bats are hand made in uk.

I think the trends have changed. Everyone wants straight grains with no blemishes and on a natural product that's hard to come by and I guess the bat makers charge a premium for it. That and the fact everything costs more these days.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Mackem DJ likes this.
  10. Hilly

Hilly Goalkeeper

Bought a H4L Hellfire Pro off eBay last week for £190. Decent bargain considering brand new they're £395 and the bloke only used it for 2 net sessions!

11. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

whats it like?

I'm really torn as to what to get - was quite liking the B3 bats then looked at H4L and then also had a look at the aldred ones - also still a Gray nicolls fan as well!!

12. I need a bat as well!! Eddy will be sick of me trying his out. I quite like his salix I used last night.

13. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

what about my dynadrive you picked up the other night - you can have a tap with that and see how you like it. Needs a clean up, some oil and a new scuff sheet but hasnt had a great deal of use!

14. The middle will be brand new and the edges already knocked in. Yes I'll give it a go paul

SAFC2403 likes this.
  15. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

loads of marks on the edges!!

16. Hilly

Hilly Goalkeeper

I haven't had chance to use it yet - but if it's anything like my H4L Grade 1, it'll be an absolute gun.

SAFC2403 likes this.
  17. Ageing trundler

Ageing trundler Full Back

I bought a Sunridge for 1p off eBay a few years ago. £30 P&P mind! Still does a job though for my lower order possing about. I can't comment on its hitting ability as everything goes square of the wicket in my world!

18. Superchamps

Superchamps Full Back

19. SAFC2403

SAFC2403 Winger

I've heard of them. I'm on a cricket forum and they have lots of bespoke bat makers on there.

B3 or Aldred for me I reckon. Both around £150-170 mark.