Buying a new DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

APB

Whats everyones thoughts on a step up from the D40?

I've got my D40 in perfect nick, and a Nikon p100 which I ferking hate so i'm thinking of selling both and buying either a D90? or? or maybe a Canon?

Any advice chaps? and chapesses?

AB22 Easy Tiger

Nocturnal Tourist
Staff member
What lenses do you have?

If you are planning on keeping any Nikon lenses it makes no sense to buy a Canon.

I have a Canon 50D and I love it. I've since bought a couple of EOS 35mm cameras that the lenses will fit. I wouldn't change for the world but it's all down to personal preference.

A

APB

What lenses do you have?

If you are planning on keeping any Nikon lenses it makes no sense to buy a Canon.

I have a Canon 50D and I love it. I've since bought a couple of EOS 35mm cameras that the lenses will fit. I wouldn't change for the world but it's all down to personal preference.
I've only got the 18-55 kit and a 55-200mm VR.

Obviously if I get the D90 I'd get the 18-105 kit lens. unfortunately my 55-200mm lens doesn't get used all that much and think i'd probably use a 50mm prime lens more.

I'll probably have a bash between Nikon and canon when i go looking, the mrs flys back to the UK on Saturday so that might be the time to go shopping for new cameras ;)

not spavin

Striker
I've only got the 18-55 kit and a 55-200mm VR.

Obviously if I get the D90 I'd get the 18-105 kit lens. unfortunately my 55-200mm lens doesn't get used all that much and think i'd probably use a 50mm prime lens more.

I'll probably have a bash between Nikon and canon when i go looking, the mrs flys back to the UK on Saturday so that might be the time to go shopping for new cameras ;)
You could either by the D90 body only, or else get it with the lens, sell it, and use the money to get a second hand 50mm 1.8. I'd also recommend this - got one the other week from Rocky Camera for £20 and it's amazing.

tbh honest there's little difference between Nikon and Canon, they're both great. Might be wise to stick with Nikon since you have some lenses, but you should be able to sell your kit easy enough if you prefer the feel of Canon. The D90 is a brilliant camera mind, I know pros who use em.

AB22 Easy Tiger

Nocturnal Tourist
Staff member
If you are going to change to Canon, I'd heartily recommend the 50D. If you want video then have a look at the 7D.

Both of those cameras have a cropped sensor so if you're looking at full frame you'd need a 5D MkII, and that shoots Hi Res video too.

I looked at upgrading to a 5D, but apart from the video and full frame sensor (neither of which I need) there wan't much to choose from between that ad my 50D - so I kept the $3000 in my pocket.

A

APB

Cheers lads, well I've just sold my P100 and now only have the D40 left to sell then I've got my money for the D90 which i have opted for ;)

keeps21

Winger
Cheers lads, well I've just sold my P100 and now only have the D40 left to sell then I've got my money for the D90 which i have opted for ;)
Might be worth getting in touch with Hauser's Helmet, think he was trying to sell his D90.

A

APB

Just got my D90, wish the battery would hurry up and charge! Got the last one in the shop, display model, made him hoy in a tripod for the inconvenience of not having to peel the plastic off the box :lol:

not spavin

Striker
Just got my D90, wish the battery would hurry up and charge! Got the last one in the shop, display model, made him hoy in a tripod for the inconvenience of not having to peel the plastic off the box :lol:
Good luck with it all - it's a mint camera like.

Status
Not open for further replies.