Buying a new build home.

Just cause I leave me horse on the driveway....

Still seems a bit mean, if I made a deposit I'd expect a reasonable amount of time to have to complete, I've known houses with no chain take 4 months to complete.

8 weeks is reasonable? It takes 4 months due to incompetence of solicitors and mortgage advisors.

Bought a new build 2 years ago was supposed to take about 8 weeks from when we reserved it to move in it took them about 20 weeks total to finish the house and another week or 2 to get the paper work finished.

We had no chain we were just waiting for them to build it.

I got a cracking price on the same understanding then a mate in the know got me a good Solicitor who just batted them off til I was ready .They wanted it completed before the house was built .I was in the position where I would either have 2 houses and small deposit big mortage or sell my house and have big deposit .

Been looking at a new build home but the builder is insisting that I complete within 2 months or lose my deposit, which I've just refused to do, something to do with their sales figures, my house is sold but the people moving into mine haven't sole there's so the builder is saying if I put down a deposit I have to either complete regardless or lose any deposit I've out down, surely they have to give a grace period from deposit to completion??
The housebuilders year end is July 31st (I think), so if you can afford it then use it to your advantage. Get upgrades on the spec or extras that weren't in the original detail. And make sure your snagging list is completed before handing over payment.

Just as well you didn't pull out at the last minute to leave the sales lass disappointed.

Even more concerning after moving in I took her out for a drink then became a little concerned when she started to talk about moving in.
Time to exit.

Got some story’s to tell old SOT.

did you leave a deposit?

The curtains were not used in the making of this film.

Pics or it never happened.

I just can't take the risk like, I'm wanting a few extras and could potentially lose a few quid if it goes tits up, I'll just have to wait and see if someone else picks it up.

There's always other houses, I might buy the kip next door to @oROSSo

I was young, free and single and on the kids life this happened.
In fact it happened more than once and got home from work and would go into the Sales office for a chat (two girls worked there).
One would look after the office whilst the Luxembourg lass would check the snag list :lol:

Last edited:
Been looking at a new build home but the builder is insisting that I complete within 2 months or lose my deposit, which I've just refused to do, something to do with their sales figures, my house is sold but the people moving into mine haven't sole there's so the builder is saying if I put down a deposit I have to either complete regardless or lose any deposit I've out down, surely they have to give a grace period from deposit to completion??

I go the other way, tell him ye want 20% retention for snagging 'cos new builds are shoite...

If the builder is lashing houses out to satisfy sales figures, they will be even less inclined to remedy any faults to your satisfaction.

I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely true.

All snags are reported, then when more turn up, they are reported again. It's within the builders interest to sort these snags out within a certain alloted time, especially within the first 2 years, otherwise they don't get their bonus payment off the warranty provider. NHBC is known for paying the main builders up to £15m a year if they sort snags out within a 2 week period

I get what you're saying, but it's not entirely true.

All snags are reported, then when more turn up, they are reported again. It's within the builders interest to sort these snags out within a certain alloted time, especially within the first 2 years, otherwise they don't get their bonus payment off the warranty provider. NHBC is known for paying the main builders up to £15m a year if they sort snags out within a 2 week period
Somebody better tell Taylor Wimpey that. We’ve hardly had any snags but been waiting since October for a dent at the bottom of the stairs and a chip in the patio doors to be fixed.

I bought one last year. It's not bad but the quality of the finish is a bit shoddy in places. It took them ages to sort the snagging list out and we've had a couple of leaks due to plumbers rushing their job and not doing up some compression fittings properly. They just rush stuff to move on to the next completion as soon as possible - pressure put on everyone so the builder gets the cash through the door as soon as possible. It didn't feel like we were the valued customer - more like they were calling the tunes and everything was geared up to get their money in as quickly as they could. Sort out the shoddy finish after we'd moved in - at a snail's pace (to suit the builder, again).

Somebody better tell Taylor Wimpey that. We’ve hardly had any snags but been waiting since October for a dent at the bottom of the stairs and a chip in the patio doors to be fixed.

We had scratches all over the front of our living room windows. They claimed it was us when we've cleaned them. They still had the protective sheets on :rolleyes:

Back