Buy to let mortgages - Contractor

Anyone have any advice, Im looking to buy a second property at auction to rent out.

May you get the same level of grief I got on here for this post :lol:

In other news, I would recommend finding out the rental values of houses in the area you're thinking of getting. No point buying a house that you can only rent out for peanuts. It won't even cover the mortgage.

May you get the same level of grief I got on here for this post :lol:

In other news, I would recommend finding out the rental values of houses in the area you're thinking of getting. No point buying a house that you can only rent out for peanuts. It won't even cover the mortgage.
The house is already let out and you purchase with the tenant in situ or without

Contractors with BtL mortgages, and they wonder why the economy is fucked :D

Dodge tax half their working life, then buy a house to let out at an exorbitant rate.
Deal with it

The house is already let out and you purchase with the tenant in situ or without

Deal with it

Interesting... Well that seems fair enough. I'd have a look on something like MoneySupermarket for a BtL mortgage.
And now to wind up people like @Frijj a bit more...

Is this the first rental property you'll be owning? You'll have to pay second home stamp duty on it if so. If you already have one, then you'll know about this delightful additional fee

Deal with it

Must be hard looking for contractors looking over their shoulder for the taxman all the time. He’ll catch up eventually.

Interesting... Well that seems fair enough. I'd have a look on something like MoneySupermarket for a BtL mortgage.

Is this the first rental property you'll be owning? You'll have to pay second home stamp duty on it if so. If you already have one, then you'll know about this delightful additional fee

Wholly necessary to stop greedy contractors gouging people I reckon.

No this is my first, Any mortgage brokers/companies you recommend

Must be hard looking for contractors looking over their shoulder for the taxman all the time. He’ll catch up eventually.

So bitter :lol::lol:

I absolutely agree, but unfortunately (he says...) happens once. So if you have one house and buy another over the stamp duty threshold it's Second Home Stamp Duty.
If you then buy a third it's not Third Home, it's just second home stamp duty again.
It doesn't go up depending on the amount of properties you buy.

That's how greedy contractors end up with so many. They can afford to pay it.

I've asked for a Consent to Let from our current provider as we're about to move out of our house and rent it. If that doesn't work, I'll have to look at getting a buy to let - if I see any decent lenders I'll let you know!

Last edited:

So bitter :lol::lol:
Wouldn't bother with a broker. You could search for most available offers yourself on the internet. If you go on to the Santander for intermediaries website you'll see the slightly lengthier criteria applicable over your typical money comparison sites.

Back