Bus Lanes

JL1985

Striker
My main pet hate in life. Queues of traffic as far as the eye can see in one lane and not a bus in sight. It's the same everyday.

Can't go in them between 7:30 - 9:30 and 16:00-18:30 when its busiest but can go in them any other time, it's should be the other way around.

Then you get morons who let buses in. If the government want to reduce traffic pollution then surely something should be done about using these lanes.

My main pet hate in life. Queues of traffic as far as the eye can see in one lane and not a bus in sight. It's the same everyday.

Can't go in them between 7:30 - 9:30 and 16:00-18:30 when its busiest but can go in them any other time, it's should be the other way around.

Then you get morons who let buses in. If the government want to reduce traffic pollution then surely something should be done about using these lanes.
I think you’ve missed the point mate. There’s no buses because they are where they are supposed to be and not stuck in traffic. If everyone stuck in the traffic with you had taken the bus you would all be at your destination and it would have reduced the emission level.

Rev your engine in protest.

I think you’ve missed the point mate. There’s no buses because they are where they are supposed to be and not stuck in traffic. If everyone stuck in the traffic with you had taken the bus you would all be at your destination and it would have reduced the emission level.

Spot on.
We still have nuggets at my place who drive to work and pay a fortune in fuel/parking when they could easily hop on the bus or take the metro.
Same people who moan about traffic congestion and bus lanes...very ironic :)

Fines for the council coffers is what bus lanes are really for. Buses obviously stop so many times along the route that its not any quicker.

Why are taxis allowed to use them though. Why does a fare paying taxi passenger in a car get priority over everyone else in a car???

Allowing cars to use the bus lanes during rush hour would completely defeat the purpose of having them though. They want to encourage people, where possible, to commute using public transport, letting cars use bus lanes at the busiest times would mean most would be no better at all taking the bus, hence no one with a choice would bother

Allowing cars to use the bus lanes during rush hour would completely defeat the purpose of having them though. They want to encourage people, where possible, to commute using public transport, letting cars use bus lanes at the busiest times would mean most would be no better at all taking the bus, hence no one with a choice would bother
I don't think they will ever convert enough people. If people have a car they will take it no matter what normally.

I don't think they will ever convert enough people. If people have a car they will take it no matter what normally.

They might not, but they certainly won't if they let cars use the bus lanes. If I was near a bus which would get me to work, it was cheaper than driving and I knew (thanks to bus lanes) I could virtually guarantee a quick journey rather than a snarled up commute then I'd probably take the bus.

Seems to make sense in somewhere like newcastle where there's a constant flow of buses.

Durham Road ones seem pointless, hardly ever see a bus on them, and in force 24 hours for some reason.

Might as well have two lanes, less queues for cars, the odd bus waiting a little longer.

They might not, but they certainly won't if they let cars use the bus lanes. If I was near a bus which would get me to work, it was cheaper than driving and I knew (thanks to bus lanes) I could virtually guarantee a quick journey rather than a snarled up commute then I'd probably take the bus.

Allowing more cars into city centres every year is simply unsustainable. Granted, public transport isn’t for everyone, however if it’s available, cheaper and quicker it’s a no brainer not to use it.

My gripe with bus lanes is specific to the A690/ A19 roundabout approach. Once you get past the Board Inn, some cars blatantly disregard the bus lane and drive it’s full length. Those who obey the rules, but then need to turn left into Doxy or onto the A19 southbound can’t filter back into the correct lane as there’s a rush to get through the lights onto a congested roundabout.

Back