Bury FC

Tell u what is a joke... Both Bury and Bolton are only 10-15 miles from a club who just paid £85M for a defender... A fraction of the fee could save both football clubs... Football is fooked

I was talking to that Bury fan who was going round with a bucket at Accrington last week and he reckons it will be like a house of cards. Once one goes a whole lot more will follow
I agree with him. This has been coming for a good while I reckon.
I think the best solution now is to scrap their fixtures for the season, place them bottom and they will take one of the relegation spots.
Agree a cut off point before the end of this season to prove they have a viable plan for league 2 next year and if not then promote the conference runners up as well as the winners.

I don't see how these clubs can realistically survive these days. Traditionally Bury made their money by selling a player periodically to the bigger clubs, back when I was a youngster it was players like Colin Bell, Ray Pointer, Alec Lindsay, Terry McDermott, and later Lee Dixon. Problem is that the bigger clubs can now afford to hoover up anybody with a semblance of talent for their academies and then just discard them when they don't make the grade.

Clubs like Bury now rely on sweeping up those who can't make the grade elsewhere instead of being able the develop players themselves and sell.
Colin Bell, what a great player he was.

Last edited:
Tell u what is a joke... Both Bury and Bolton are only 10-15 miles from a club who just paid £85M for a defender... A fraction of the fee could save both football clubs... Football is fooked
But they have two distinct owners who are just playing at it... The Bolton situation should never have been allowed to develop by the to where it currently is... They are in Administration (I believe) and cannot meet their obligations. If they cannot field a team in a competition ,which League one is, then they should be slung out, no matter what there standing is/was or could be, and rightly so. Both clubs are subject to FA Charter Standard League rules and regulations.

Governed under FA rules.
This dispute is all about wether they are fit to continue with their football league membership or not and FA are not involved in that decision, the fa can not tell efl wether they should be in the efl or not let alone which league they should be in, it’s all down to efl management board and or the efl member clubs, if efl do expel them then fa will become involved in deciding which level of the non league pyramid they start next season in
I agree with him. This has been coming for a good while I reckon.

Trying to remember if he played at Roker in 1973

Last edited:
But they have two distinct owners who are just playing at it... The Bolton situation should never have been allowed to develop by the to where it currently is... They are in Administration (I believe) and cannot meet their obligations. If they cannot field a team in a competition ,which League one is, then they should be slung out, no matter what there standing is/was or could be, and rightly so. Both clubs are subject to FA Charter Standard League rules and regulations.
Fair point, its sad to see great clubs going this way... In the event they get rescued there needs to be better legislation to prevent owners taking the piss borrowing astronomical amounts against club assets.

Had a great restaurant as well with Colin Waldron after he retired which he could usually be found working in.

Can you imagine somebody with his ability grafting in a restaurant after retirement these days :lol:

Something needs to change if we want to keep the smaller club going. Not sure what that is but personally I'd like to see all clubs restricted to how many players they can take into their academies on an annual basis. It's just a numbers game to them now, hoover up hundreds of kids in the hope one comes through. There is no talent left for the smaller clubs to develop, nurture and hopefully turn a profit on.

I think ultimately rules will be relaxed and some of these smaller clubs with become feeders for the bigger clubs. Bury will just become City or United's U23 team with players contracted there for the season and the proviso that they can never be promoted to the same league as their parent club. These clubs will lose their identities but the big boys get what they want now.

Why should they though? Man Utd's income is as a result of the success they have achieved. Whatever the reason Bury and Bolton are in financial trouble it is neither the fault of nor the problem for Manchetser United or any other team. Sunderland are solvent these days, should we donate our transfer fund to them so they can keep going?

Why should they though? Man Utd's income is as a result of the success they have achieved. Whatever the reason Bury and Bolton are in financial trouble it is neither the fault of nor the problem for Manchetser United or any other team. Sunderland are solvent these days, should we donate our transfer fund to them so they can keep going?
You're right... It's not Man United problem but the successful running (financially) of all clubs should be a concern for all clubs... Man u can spend as they see fit... But I'm sure they used to use Gigg Lane for reserve games & have nurtured talent sending their youth players to such teams like Bury. I'm sure talent from small teams (ie Bury) have been bought by big clubs for small free and moved on at an inflated rate... All clubs are important to communities; even if they're ran by tyrants.

You're right... It's not Man United problem but the successful running (financially) of all clubs should be a concern for all clubs... Man u can spend as they see fit... But I'm sure they used to use Gigg Lane for reserve games & have nurtured talent sending their youth players to such teams like Bury. I'm sure talent from small teams (ie Bury) have been bought by big clubs for small free and moved on at an inflated rate... All clubs are important to communities; even if they're ran by tyrants.
and when they used gogg lane they paid for it. and man utd have probably been responsible for more cash going into bury in the past year than any owner, via premier league solidarity payments

As previously mentioned, when one or both of these clubs finally go bust, it will open the floodgates and several more will follow in quick succession IMO

It will be the same as British retail when they all came tumbling down as soon as Woolworth's went. Real shame

Further @buryfcofficial game postponed and club kicked out of EFL Cup. Plus a last warning: “If a solution is not found by the deadline, the Board will authorise the necessary share transfer on behalf of Bury FC and result in the Club no longer being a member of the League.

”Should this happen, @buryfcofficial record from 19/20 season would be expunged with L1 consisting of 23 Clubs for remainder of campaign + number of relegation places reduced to 3 at conclusion of 2019/20 season. 4 promotion places would remain from L2.”

That's from BBC's Simon Stone who covers Manchester teams heavily

Further @buryfcofficial game postponed and club kicked out of EFL Cup. Plus a last warning: “If a solution is not found by the deadline, the Board will authorise the necessary share transfer on behalf of Bury FC and result in the Club no longer being a member of the League.

”Should this happen, @buryfcofficial record from 19/20 season would be expunged with L1 consisting of 23 Clubs for remainder of campaign + number of relegation places reduced to 3 at conclusion of 2019/20 season. 4 promotion places would remain from L2.”

Full EFL statement here...

It mentions them restarting again next season further down the pyramid, and tbh that’s looking like a real possibility now.

Should be the same for Bolton Wanderers too.

It should be a concern for the governing bodies

Back