Burglar Alarm Help

Tommasi

Striker
Anyone know much about burglar alarms?

Working away at the moment - my lass (no) rang last night to say the upstairs lights had blown and she needed to change the fuse, had no wire in so her brother was going to do it in the morning.

Now the burglar alarm has went off at 3am, we've never used it since moving in a while back - so don't even know the alarm code but the screen was blank anyway, and after 20 mins it dies.

I'm no leccy but my guess is that the alarm is fed from the same supply as the upstairs lights, the alarm battery has drained down and then rang until it's died. So we need to change the fuse asap and change the alarm battery when we can and problem solved? Or a meringue?

Anyone know much about burglar alarms?

Working away at the moment - my lass (no) rang last night to say the upstairs lights had blown and she needed to change the fuse, had no wire in so her brother was going to do it in the morning.

Now the burglar alarm has went off at 3am, we've never used it since moving in a while back - so don't even know the alarm code but the screen was blank anyway, and after 20 mins it dies.

I'm no leccy but my guess is that the alarm is fed from the same supply as the upstairs lights, the alarm battery has drained down and then rang until it's died. So we need to change the fuse asap and change the alarm battery when we can and problem solved? Or a meringue?
Pretty much this. Or get rid of the alarm.

Are you still allowed wired fuses?

Pretty much this. Or get rid of the alarm.

Are you still allowed wired fuses?
No idea. It's an ex council house built in the 60s, 70s. I might look at the costs of getting breakers put in. Planning on moving in a couple years though so don't want to spend too much on the house we won't get back .

No idea. It's an ex council house built in the 60s, 70s. I might look at the costs of getting breakers put in. Planning on moving in a couple years though so don't want to spend too much on the house we won't get back .
might be one of those things though if you dont change your consumer unit a survey may pick it up as house needing a rewire...lots of £ knocked off value.
As for the battery it`ll only have a 20 minute battery life and will recharge once power is restored so no need to change it as far as i`m aware

Rewireable fuses are realy bad and offer no protection if you were to recieve a shock. Also have a tendancy not to blow and cause a fire.

A new consumer unit should cost no more than £400 fitted. Just a thought.

Rewireable fuses are realy bad and offer no protection if you were to recieve a shock. Also have a tendancy not to blow and cause a fire.

A new consumer unit should cost no more than £400 fitted. Just a thought.
Her brothers an electrician too, like pulling teeth to get him to do stuff like!

Back