Bulgaria v England - ITV

To be honest, I thought it was a disgrace aswell :oops:
The fans and the FA are two sides of the same coin, they are both representative of the country on the international stage. If one imploring respect while the other is booing a national anthem it somewhat lessens the impact of any statement the FA are trying to make.

Let's be fair, if you were a black player who was having racist abuse aimed at while representing your country it would be absolutely horrible. The FA should do everything in their power to preventing their players having to endure it. The problem is, if the fans do not hold themselves to the highest standard at the same time, it leaves you open to a whole host of whataboutery.

Those fascist saluting fans looked like they just walked out. I wonder if police apprehended them. I hope so as facial recognition from cctv would easily identify them. Surely a switched on journalist who was there will have followed this up. Didn't look to me as if stewards threw them out.

Glenn Hoddle waffling on about how abhorrent racism is - didn't he get banned for referring to a Korean player as something like 'Knee Shin Toe' or something like that?

I'd be telling him to shut his mouth if it was me - he has shown in his past to be just as ignorant.
If this is correct ... then as long as people are learning from past mistakes it’s not as bad as physically standing in a crowd still to this day holding up “no respect” jumpers. Making monkey chants, racially abusing players and nazi saluting... all of which comes in a stadium already serving a part closure due to racism. It’s a joke. And even more abhorrent is their manager pretending he couldn’t hear it.

If this is correct ... then as long as people are learning from past mistakes it’s not as bad as physically standing in a crowd still to this day holding up “no respect” jumpers. Making monkey chants, racially abusing players and nazi saluting... all of which comes in a stadium already serving a part closure due to racism. It’s a joke. And even more abhorrent is their manager pretending he couldn’t hear it.

Well said.

The official line is they were ejected from the stadium. Utter shite and it already smacks of a cover up
Was a bit weird.
The pundits were ecstatic- "look the protocol works. All the racists are leaving"
The fans and the FA are two sides of the same coin, they are both representative of the country on the international stage. If one imploring respect while the other is booing a national anthem it somewhat lessens the impact of any statement the FA are trying to make.

Let's be fair, if you were a black player who was having racist abuse aimed at while representing your country it would be absolutely horrible. The FA should do everything in their power to preventing their players having to endure it. The problem is, if the fans do not hold themselves to the highest standard at the same time, it leaves you open to a whole host of whataboutery.
Isn't that part and parcel of football though? If the Mags are booing your players, and calling Sunderland names, doesn't give you the right to start chucking bannanas at Shola Ameobi.

Last edited:
The lads that walked out smacked of a bunch of ultras being told by their fa look lads you can do your chanting so long as you fuck off at half time. Completely choreographed

Isn't that part and parcel of football though? If the Mags are booing your players, and calling Sunderland names, doesn't give you the right to start chucking bannanas at Shola Ameobi.
I dunno, I see the jeering of a team sheet as you say part and parcel of a fierce rivalry. Booing individual players is the crowd playing their part in the gamesmanship. Once you start booing a national anthem, especially of a country you don't any real previous rivalry with, you start to enter xenophobic territory. I'm not a massive patriot who would run into war with the national anthem ringing in my ears, but I can see why disrespecting it would offend people.

But like you say, nothing gives you carte blanche to racially abuse anyone.

It's like going back in time when you see scenes like this. Disgusting and a stain on European football. If a UEFA nation can't host a football game without a large proportion of its fans spouting racist bile - and the country itself takes no action to prevent it happening again, get rid. They don't deserve the privilege of competing.

So if we're going to ban teams from competition for this sort of offence what are the benchmarks. How much racism does there need to be before it's a banning offence? How long does the ban last? How does the banned country prove it's changed it's ways?
It's like going back in time when you see scenes like this. Disgusting and a stain on European football. If a UEFA nation can't host a football game without a large proportion of its fans spouting racist bile - and the country itself takes no action to prevent it happening again, get rid. They don't deserve the privilege of competing.
Say what you like about the oppressive totalitarian communist regimes of the past but there was none of this happened when they were in charge!

Last edited:
Was a bit weird.
The pundits were ecstatic- "look the protocol works. All the racists are leaving"

Aye, a bit too scripted for me. UEFA - 'hey Bulgarian FA here's some money, now in front of the cameras we have a plan to show we are serious and it also makes you look good. Get your daft lads to act up and then follow the procedures in our new highly publiced plan & we'll make sure the cameras follow the narrative'

Back