Building your own pc

• Thread starter Deleted member 1394
  • Start date
Building a gaming PC hasn't been about the price for years though, its about customising and using better components.

Building a PC for non-gaming is madness, though.
Very true. You'd be mad to build a general purpose machine for basic home use like internet and streaming as the big companies like Del can knock them out so much cheaper than it would cost you to buy the bits yourself.

As you say, gaming rigs are different: I built mine a year ago and if I'd gone to somewhere like Alienware it would have cost at least £500 more than I paid for the components.

This is what I mean by customising. You can get really good fans that do a better job, quieter, than what you get in pre-built. That, and PSUs&motherboards are where you can improve a lot.

Or buy a pre build and then slowly modify it. Depending on confidence levels.

Saying that with gpu these days they still sound like planes taking off under stress

Very true. You'd be mad to build a general purpose machine for basic home use like internet and streaming as the big companies like Del can knock them out so much cheaper than it would cost you to buy the bits yourself.

As you say, gaming rigs are different: I built mine a year ago and if I'd gone to somewhere like Alienware it would have cost at least £500 more than I paid for the components.

That’s why you go to dell outlet and look at the Alienware. Massive savings. ESP with vouchers. However it is a waiting name.

All the knackers saying it's easy :lol:

It's easy when you work out if all the components work together.

It's easy if you study the motherboard layout to find the right sockets for every cable, bearing in mind there are different fan sockets, usb sockets and case headers.

It's easy if you work out in advance which cables are used and how you'll route them through the case, including which kind of sata cable (how long, 90 degrees or not).

It's easy one you work out how much power you'll need and buy a power supply that's twice that for maximum efficiency/stability.

And it's easy if you make sure there's no static to fuck up your overpriced components. Static mats, wristbands, etc etc

Apart from that you're golden and you'll save loads of money.

So...... it's not that easy then?

Did you vote for Brexit?

Not answering that on the grounds that I will cop huge amounts of shit no matter what I say

It's not as easy as they make out put it that way.

I'd follow this simple guide.

Have you ever kissed a girl?

No, it's easy don't worry about it.
Yes, consider buying a pre-built PC for the same price.

How about yes to the first answer and...
I need a new pc and fancy challenging myself to do something outside of my comfort zone?

Lots of different opinions already!

IMHO, it’s very easy. I’ve built 2 now, and all I did was watch YouTube

Along with pulling his pants down and dry bumming him, then charging him a extra £500 for some kind of service plan
I bought a case from them years ago and the chassis was bent so i took it back and tbe teats tried to charge me a 20% restocking fee as id opened the box. Set of f***ing idiots, never been back since.

I bought a case from them years ago and the chassis was bent so i took it back and tbe teats tried to charge me a 20% restocking fee as id opened the box. Set of f***ing idiots, never been back since.

This was years ago at the old place but my m8 bought a full system and the power button on the case was goosed, their solution was to poke a screwdriver in and wiggle it about to turn it on and just leave it in stand by mode.

Earlier in the year I was looking at getting a new GPU, this was during the mining craze, they were one of the few places that had them in stock. The bloke told me they were set at the current price but once they had gone the next batch would cost him more to resupply so they would go up. He made a point of saying they wernt inflating the prices like other places. The card I needed to replace had gone up to twice the price so I didnt see the point in paying that for the same performance, so I decided to hold off a few days till I had the funds to buy a top end card.

But the next day the website had the exact same stock numbers but they had gone up in price £300.

There was a lass in at the same time wanting something to listen to spotify and browse facebook, she basically needed a tablet. But the bloke was quoting her a system with liquid cooling, SSDs and going on about gaming chairs and gaming rugs.

It is easy but it’s not any cheaper really. Also, you need to make sure all the various components are compatible with each other and that can take a bit of researching.

There was a lass in at the same time wanting something to listen to spotify and browse facebook, she basically needed a tablet. But the bloke was quoting her a system with liquid cooling, SSDs and going on about gaming chairs and gaming rugs.
She should have gone to PC world or Argos tbf.

Any time I've bought a pc from somewhere like falcon it's been a case of "how much do you have?" and the lad has tried to get me the best bang for my buck.

Bought my parts when came back home (Sunderland) my last build bought from the Newcastle Road shop in the old church.......think it was gold Chip computers, but some parts cheaper at Falcons, so got all the parts required from both shops. Cheaper than down South or in fact online at that time. Built the machine when got home down south no issues at all, had a duff CPU and new one arrived in post 12 hours later...sent old one back recorded - no issues. Must have been five years ago.....16 gig of memory and still running fine and doing everything I want. Problem now of course if I want to upgrade, New motherboard, memory and CPU required. Mind use a laptop as well and just put a new motherboard in that. That went down but also working fine now (bought that 2nd user motherboard off EBay) working class now.

One key element to get right, is get the right case for the computer you want to build. Get that wrong and you are fecked from the outset nothing fits and is a struggle to work in, also get a big enough power pack as will need plenty of juice in your system, mind do rendering on mine so need good power pack, mother board, good processor and memory to work together.

Nobody can read that surely, use paragraphs please

mate ;)

All the knackers saying it's easy :lol:

It's easy when you work out if all the components work together.

It's easy if you study the motherboard layout to find the right sockets for every cable, bearing in mind there are different fan sockets, usb sockets and case headers.

It's easy if you work out in advance which cables are used and how you'll route them through the case, including which kind of sata cable (how long, 90 degrees or not).

It's easy one you work out how much power you'll need and buy a power supply that's twice that for maximum efficiency/stability.

And it's easy if you make sure there's no static to fuck up your overpriced components. Static mats, wristbands, etc etc

Apart from that you're golden and you'll save loads of money.

Much easier to buy nowadays probably cheaper and with a warranty.

Last edited:
Nobody can read that surely, use paragraphs please

mate ;)

Much easier to buy nowadays probably cheaper and with a warranty.

No pleasing some folk..........got problems, then ignore it simples.

It is there to be read or ignored........confuscious say it, or was it the Beatles........It's only words.com fella :lol::lol:

Back