Building your own pc

• Thread starter Deleted member 1394
  • Start date

Used to love going to the computer fairs at nissan and the northumbria centre. used to build them for friends and family at Xmas time.

Remember setting jumpers on the motherboard to match the speed of the CPU you had, not this jumperless shite you get now. you had to know what you were doing back then

There's easier ways, but it is nice to learn how to really pick parts, what's really important about them compared to what's on written on the box and then how it really goes together, and having a proper understanding of how you can upgrade in a few years time.
Also nice to control your cooling and how it looks.

Overclockers would be where I'd recommend you pick everything - then post it on their forums and ask for feedback.

Their delivery service is ace too, worth paying 1-2% extra as their returns are ideal too.

Bought my parts when came back home (Sunderland) my last build bought from the Newcastle Road shop in the old church.......think it was gold Chip computers, but some parts cheaper at Falcons, so got all the parts required from both shops. Cheaper than down South or in fact online at that time. Built the machine when got home down south no issues at all, had a duff CPU and new one arrived in post 12 hours later...sent old one back recorded - no issues. Must have been five years ago.....16 gig of memory and still running fine and doing everything I want. Problem now of course if I want to upgrade, New motherboard, memory and CPU required. Mind use a laptop as well and just put a new motherboard in that. That went down but also working fine now (bought that 2nd user motherboard off EBay) working class now.

One key element to get right, is get the right case for the computer you want to build. Get that wrong and you are fecked from the outset nothing fits and is a struggle to work in, also get a big enough power pack as will need plenty of juice in your system, mind do rendering on mine so need good power pack, mother board, good processor and memory to work together.

All the knackers saying it's easy :lol:

It's easy when you work out if all the components work together.

It's easy if you study the motherboard layout to find the right sockets for every cable, bearing in mind there are different fan sockets, usb sockets and case headers.

It's easy if you work out in advance which cables are used and how you'll route them through the case, including which kind of sata cable (how long, 90 degrees or not).

It's easy one you work out how much power you'll need and buy a power supply that's twice that for maximum efficiency/stability.

And it's easy if you make sure there's no static to fuck up your overpriced components. Static mats, wristbands, etc etc

Apart from that you're golden and you'll save loads of money.

There's easier ways, but it is nice to learn how to really pick parts, what's really important about them compared to what's on written on the box and then how it really goes together, and having a proper understanding of how you can upgrade in a few years time.
Also nice to control your cooling and how it looks.

Overclockers would be where I'd recommend you pick everything - then post it on their forums and ask for feedback.

Their delivery service is ace too, worth paying 1-2% extra as their returns are ideal too.

Only grievance I have with overclockers, is they seem to more expensive than anyone else. I remember when the 1080 TI came out, they were £150 more expensive than any of their competitors and I copped a ban on the forums for pointing this out :lol:

It's easy if you study the motherboard layout to find the right sockets for every cable, bearing in mind there are different fan sockets, usb sockets and case headers.

It's easy if you work out in advance which cables are used and how you'll route them through the case, including which kind of sata cable (how long, 90 degrees or not).

It's easy one you work out how much power you'll need and buy a power supply that's twice that for maximum efficiency/stability.

And it's easy if you make sure there's no static to fuck up your overpriced components. Static mats, wristbands, etc etc

this is the kind of encouragement i need in my life.

Only grievance I have with overclockers, is they seem to more expensive than anyone else. I remember when the 1080 TI came out, they were £150 more expensive than any of their competitors and I copped a ban on the forums for pointing this out :lol:
Yeh, sometimes they're not great on price - but a lot of the time its marginal. And their special offer packages can work out very good - plus they carry B-stock, which can be a money saver.

They do hate it when you mention other companies mind! I got a warning for that too, but not for calling them miserable twats, as that isn't against the forum rules :lol:

Dell outlet. And wait till they have a voucher. Can get up to 15% off an already discounted bit of kit.

Which beats anything you can build or source form other parties. With the benifit of dells warranty (which is ok most the time these days unless you are a nunpty )

Its never been easier, pcpartpicker checks all the compatibility for you if you are that simple. You dont save any money by doing it yourself

Dell outlet. And wait till they have a voucher. Can get up to 15% off an already discounted bit of kit.

Which beats anything you can build or source form other parties. With the benifit of dells warranty (which is ok most the time these days unless you are a nunpty )
Good shout

Its never been easier, pcpartpicker checks all the compatibility for you if you are that simple. You dont save any money by doing it yourself
Building a gaming PC hasn't been about the price for years though, its about customising and using better components.

Building a PC for non-gaming is madness, though.

Part picker sorts out the compatible parts.

The connectors tend to be labeled, the motherboard manual will tell you where everything needs to go. There are countless youtube videos of builds you can follow for pretty much every configuration.

The static thing isn't so much of a issue these days the parts have pretty good ESD protection.

Just buy some Lego to build something. And get a premade pc.

One thing i would do is if you are building your own is noise. Make it was silent as possible.

One thing i would do is if you are building your own is noise. Make it was silent as possible.
This is what I mean by customising. You can get really good fans that do a better job, quieter, than what you get in pre-built. That, and PSUs&motherboards are where you can improve a lot.

Back