Building a road bridge

Start it on our side till you get to their waters. Can just get a ferry the rest of the way.

I could be wrong, but haven’t we also dumped a load of nuclear waste in pretty much the same area?
i dont know about nuclear waste, but when i said munitions i was'nt just on about the bombs that go boom - we also dumped our chemical munitions in there

Should build massive ramps. Massive long runup, off the ramp, through the air over the sea, gently land on the other side. All the convenience of a bridge without having to build one.

Start it on our side till you get to their waters. Can just get a ferry the rest of the way.

I could be wrong, but haven’t we also dumped a load of nuclear waste in pretty much the same area?
Yes, which is why it wouldn't be a particularly good idea to blow up the munitions

From Britain to NI and from Britain to France. Why has this never been done ? Would surely make a lot of sense for trade and make it much easier and cost effective to drive to the continent if there was a small toll instead of the ferry hassle.
"Small toll"? for something (even if they did do it) that would cost 00's and 00's of £millions. Aye right....

We really have reached the peak of stupid haven't we?

We turned our backs on experts in order to live in our own fantasy world of bunting and spitfires.

This is what is left
What strikes home the most is the anti vaccine mob. PhD in immunology and the finest minds in pharma working on the vaccine versus some moron who googles things.

This is he bad side of the internet. Its made speakers corner accessible where lunatics can congregate.

For christ sake do you ever stop and think about stuff before you post it?

Because it is one of the worlds busiest shipping lanes

Which means that the bridge would have to be suspended high above the channel to allow shipping to pass underneath it

Which would mean that the towers to support the spans would need to be incredibly high, maybe the highest in the world

Which would make it incredibly vulnerable to wind

In a stretch of water famous for high winds and turbulent seas

And it would cost an unknown sum of money, because no-one has ever had a safe design yet. You don't even have a survey of the seabed so you don't even know where you can build it and how

And every previous attempt has foundered as it was stupidly expensive

And we already have a tunnel which gets you from one side to the other in 30 mins, which has slack capacity

And the tunnel (which was much cheaper to build than the bridge would be) still hasn't paid back its construction costs, and lost its investors shit loads of cash which means no one will put money into a bridge

Please in future try and think about the nonsense that you post
Yeah, but if you ignore all that, I can’t see a valid reason not to.

Except that the French drive on the other side of the road from us so all the cars will crash in the middle?
They need the bridge more than we need to get over there. The rest of Europe will just realise we are British, and bend over backwards to accommodate any whim we have. Has the last 5 years not taught you anything. Those foreigners always realise what is best of them and always end up doffing their caps to our superiority.

Back