Building a new team / squad with nominal funds

Status
Not open for further replies.

1982DurhamSAFC

Midfield
It's looking likely we aint going to have much money to spend so we are going to have to cobble together a team with free transfers, loans & small fee's.

I think the likes of Pickford, Defoe, Borini, Mannone, Papy, Kone will be gone for fee's.

I'd look the build the squad as follows:

Goalkeepers x 3

Julian Speroni
Max Stryek
Mika

Defenders x 10

Adam Matthews
Alan Hutton
Billy Jones
Bryan Oviedo
Tommy Robson
John O'Shea
Kyle Bartley
Damian Delaney
Zeki Fryers
Donald Love

Midfielders x 13

Tom Lawrence
Johnny Hayes
Bacary Sako
Lee Chung Yong
George Boyd
Lee Cattermole
Didier Ndong
Jan Kirchhoff
Darron Gibson
Jack Rodwell
Paddy McNair
George Honeyman
Lynden Gooch

Strikers x 6

Duncan Watmore
Victor Anichebe
Joel Asoro
Arouna Kone
Fraizer Campbell
Jon Walters

Obviously it's a very big squad but we are going to need it with 8 extra games with weekend & mid-week matches plus cup games....

I think that lot would give us a decent chance of getting back up. Let's be honest not the most earth shattering squad of players but we have to cut our cloth accordingly...

We cannot expect to get superstars & above I feel is mixture of youth / experience...

I'm sure they're other players we could get & I'm not saying the above is the best selection but I think it would give us a chance on a small budget...

Interesting to see what you could put together!

It's looking likely we aint going to have much money to spend so we are going to have to cobble together a team with free transfers, loans & small fee's.

I think the likes of Pickford, Defoe, Borini, Mannone, Papy, Kone will be gone for fee's.

Goalkeepers x 3

Julian Speroni
Max Stryek
Mika

Defenders x 10

Adam Matthews
Alan Hutton
Billy Jones
Bryan Oviedo
Tommy Robson
John O'Shea
Kyle Bartley
Damian Delaney
Zeki Fryers
Donald Love

Midfielders x 13

Tom Lawrence
Johnny Hayes
Bacary Sako
Lee Chung Yong
George Boyd
Lee Cattermole
Didier Ndong
Jan Kirchhoff
Darron Gibson
Jack Rodwell
Paddy McNair
George Honeyman
Lynden Gooch

Strikers x 6

Duncan Watmore
Victor Anichebe
Joel Asoro
Arouna Kone
Fraizer Campbell
Jon Walters

Obviously it's a very big squad but we are going to need it with 8 extra games with weekend & mid-week matches plus cup games....

I think that lot would give us a decent chance of getting back up. Let's be honest not the most earth shattering squad of players but we have to cut our cloth accordingly...

We cannot expect to get superstars & above I feel is mixture of youth / experience...

I'm sure they're other players we could get & I'm not saying the above is the best selection but I think it would give us a chance on a small budget...

Fail....

Goalkeepers x 3

Julian Speroni
Max Stryek
Mika

Defenders x 10

Adam Matthews
Alan Hutton
Billy Jones
Bryan Oviedo
Tommy Robson
John O'Shea
Kyle Bartley
Damian Delaney
Zeki Fryers
Donald Love

Midfielders x 13

Tom Lawrence
Johnny Hayes
Bacary Sako
Lee Chung Yong
George Boyd
Lee Cattermole
Didier Ndong
Jan Kirchhoff
Darron Gibson
Jack Rodwell
Paddy McNair
George Honeyman
Lynden Gooch

Strikers x 6

Duncan Watmore
Victor Anichebe
Joel Asoro
Arouna Kone
Fraizer Campbell
Jon Walters

???

Goalkeepers x 3

Julian Speroni
Max Stryek
Mika

Defenders x 10

Adam Matthews
Alan Hutton
Billy Jones
Bryan Oviedo
Tommy Robson
John O'Shea
Kyle Bartley
Damian Delaney
Zeki Fryers
Donald Love

Midfielders x 13

Tom Lawrence
Johnny Hayes
Bacary Sako
Lee Chung Yong
George Boyd
Lee Cattermole
Didier Ndong
Jan Kirchhoff
Darron Gibson
Jack Rodwell
Paddy McNair
George Honeyman
Lynden Gooch

Strikers x 6

Duncan Watmore
Victor Anichebe
Joel Asoro
Arouna Kone
Fraizer Campbell
Jon Walters

Now start by taking out those players with a history of injury, illness, or those regularly playing only a few games a season. We cannot afford them neither should we.

Ok sorry I forgot about that but regardless he'll be gone...

What team would you put together?

It depends entirely on who gets the manager's job imo.....the sooner one is appointed the quicker he will be able to make an appraisal of the staff. One man, say McInnes, will have a certain way of working and another, say Monk, may have a totally different outlook. Some players may respond positively to one appointment and negatively to another. We need to instill a manager this week and he can spend the first few days watching the full 90 minutes of every game this season....he may need treating for PTSD after that though...:lol:

Johnny Haynes? He'd be too old even by Moyes's standards.

left winger from aberdeen looks canny

It depends entirely on who gets the manager's job imo.....the sooner one is appointed the quicker he will be able to make an appraisal of the staff. One man, say McInnes, will have a certain way of working and another, say Monk, may have a totally different outlook. Some players may respond positively to one appointment and negatively to another. We need to instill a manager this week and he can spend the first few days watching the full 90 minutes of every game this season....he may need treating for PTSD after that though...:lol:

Totally agree mate...

He's half right I think. We have 16 players on that list that no fucker will buy off us so they will definitely be here

Exactly we have to go with what we've got. I mean no fcuker surely is stupid enough to offer Rodwell 50-70k per week or Catts 50k per week like we have done surely!?

Last edited:
left winger from aberdeen looks canny

Totally agree mate...

Exactly we have to go with what we've got. I mean no fcuker surely is stupid enough to offer Rodwell 50-70k per week or Catts 50k per week like we have done surely!?
Catts will have the cut in his contract,nobody will take rodders on a free so he's here to stay. I'd rather keep mannone if we aren't signing another decent keeper,Kirchhoff will never get another contract here as long as I have an arsehole

Do that and we'll be looking for another manager the week after ......
Would be a suicide related RIP thread in minutes of his arrival

The op's 'squad' consists of 32 players of which I think we'll probably see 14 in our actual squad come August.

Shows the magnitude of the task facing whoever gets the job and illustrates yet again time is of the essence.

Whoever they decide on needs to be appointed ASAP.

Last edited:
Catts will have the cut in his contract,nobody will take rodders on a free so he's here to stay. I'd rather keep mannone if we aren't signing another decent keeper,Kirchhoff will never get another contract here as long as I have an arsehole

Mannone wants to go back to Italy...

Kirchhoff is a difficult one. If & it's a big IF he stays fit he's a cracking player & will tear that league apart.

The op's 'squad' consists of 32 players of which I think we'll probably see 14 in our actual squad come August.

Shows the magnitude of the task facing whoever gets the job and illustrates yet again time is of the essence.

Whoever they decide on needs to be appointed ASAP.

Who do you think will be the 12?

Goalkeepers x 3

Julian Speroni
Max Stryek
Mika

Defenders x 10

Adam Matthews
Alan Hutton
Billy Jones
Bryan Oviedo
Tommy Robson
John O'Shea
Kyle Bartley
Damian Delaney
Zeki Fryers
Donald Love

Midfielders x 13

Tom Lawrence
Johnny Hayes
Bacary Sako
Lee Chung Yong
George Boyd
Lee Cattermole
Didier Ndong
Jan Kirchhoff
Darron Gibson
Jack Rodwell
Paddy McNair
George Honeyman
Lynden Gooch

Strikers x 6

Duncan Watmore
Victor Anichebe
Joel Asoro
Arouna Kone
Fraizer Campbell
Jon Walters

Adam Matthews - couldn't get into a championship team this year
Lee Cattermole - needs to be sold
Jan Kirchhoff - won't play enough games - need to go
Darron Gibson - not good enough- release
Victor Anichebe - won't play enough games - don't offer contract
John O'Shea - been part of the problem for to long- don't offer contract

The above 6 need to leave the club for us to move forward

Reckon the new manager will have roughly £10million available. That's a decent budget for the championship.

We have £30-40million we can make from player sales then add the parachute payment on top of that. It's not the doomsday scenario some think.

Plus we if we can make use of the loan market we can put together a canny good and young side for relatively little.

Adam Matthews - couldn't get into a championship team this year
Lee Cattermole - needs to be sold
Jan Kirchhoff - won't play enough games - need to go
Darron Gibson - not good enough- release
Victor Anichebe - won't play enough games - don't offer contract
John O'Shea - been part of the problem for to long- don't offer contract

The above 6 need to leave the club for us to move forward

Tell me whose going to sign cattermole considering he's on 50k per week until 2021??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back