Building a club

Zweiguys

Winger
Is it possible in this time of crazy money to take a club from their lowest (SAFC) and by moving slowly, build a solid club?
Please no hatred, just can it be done?

Yeah it can but you have to get a succession of things right for a considerable amount of time. You’d also need patience of your fan base.

It’s not going to happen here under our current ownership seem to have no plan other than.

‘Get some players in, get promoted if we can, sell up’

The answer is yes. Make small incremental progress through good decisions and make no bad decisions. Yes that is possible.

Its also possible to turn £1 in my betting account into £1,000,000 in the exact same way. Make good decisions but no bad ones.

Is either likely? No.

tbf league one isn't the lowest. Imagine taking a club from initial formation at the very bottom of the pyramid to the prem!

The answer is yes. Make small incremental progress through good decisions and make no bad decisions. Yes that is possible.

Its also possible to turn £1 in my betting account into £1,000,000 in the exact same way. Make good decisions but no bad ones.

Is either likely? No.
You’d also need patience of your fan base.

I see a problem right there.......

AFC Wimbledon managed to get where they are from scratch didn't they? Not sure what infastructure they have behind the senior squad but it took them a long time and they don't look to be going any further anytime soon.

Is either likely? No.
Very rarely happens.

All depends on the investors.
This is what sparked my question. Does a club need investment or is there sufficient money to be made by climbing the leagues? Not asking about a time frame. Can a well managed club sustain itself with no outside investment and still climb the ladder?

There’s a few teams who’ve been in our league who’ve got to the Premier League without spending their way there. They might have spent once they’ve got there, like Bournemouth, but they hardly bought the promotion.

This is what sparked my question. Does a club need investment or is there sufficient money to be made by climbing the leagues? Not asking about a time frame. Can a well managed club sustain itself with no outside investment and still climb the ladder?
Absolutely none would be difficult. You'd need one hell of an academy. It can be done like Brentford or Sheff utd though. Need very clever, forward thinking managers who know the staff they need
To get from where we are now to a decent mid-table Championship club would take too much money.
No it wouldn't

They're owned by one of the Saudi Royal Family tbf.

A very, very distant cousin who's not, in Saudi or anyone else's terms, that rich. He's not exactly splashed the cash, for which I commend him.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing, they aren't splashing the cash. Still sitting 6th currently in the PL with the likes of Chris Basham, John Fleck & Oli McBurnie in there side. Not saying they aren't deserving of where they are but they are playing well above their level with those names starting week in week out.

AFC Wimbledon managed to get where they are from scratch didn't they? Not sure what infastructure they have behind the senior squad but it took them a long time and they don't look to be going any further anytime soon.
move back to PLough Lane in a new stadium this summer could help them

Isn't that what Leicester did?
A very, very distant cousin who's not, in Saudi or anyone else's terms, that rich. He's not exactly splashed the cash, for which I commend him.
Both Leicester and Sheff Utd have had real clout in the background. The might not have spent big, but they've certainly had spending power with plenty of investment down the line.

Leicester have done particularly well selling on a few players at a massive profit, showing what can be done when you buy (and sell) well. It'll not prevent them becoming embroiled in a relegation battle next season mind.
Yeah I was going to say the same thing, they aren't splashing the cash. Still sitting 6th currently in the PL with the likes of Chris Basham, John Fleck & Oli McBurnie in there side. Not saying they aren't deserving of where they are but they are playing well above their level with those names starting week in week out.
Put simply - it won't last.

Last edited:

Back