Bucket Lists......

I have a list but not written down. Since I was a kid I have always looked for Brechin City's results. I have no idea why but last April I actually went to match at Glebe Park and they lost of course. I went to see a play at the Shakespeare Open air theatre in York yesterday - that is another one off the list. I always wanted a Jaguar car and bought one 12 years ago and looked after it until last year when I sold it for parts. I have seen us win at Wembley. I saw us promoted in 76. I went to the West Indies in 1974 before tourism properly set in. Finally I am off to the Melbourne Test this Boxing Day when they play the Kiwis and then on to Hawaii and the USA before home.

Last edited:

What I would have fancied doing at 20 had very much changed by the time I hit 30 and I suspect similar will happen by the time I get to 40.

I’ve had a canny life so far and regret nowt, if I keep going like that I’ll die happy enough.

I've started a bit of a sporting one, aiming for a couple of events a year. Went to the F1 last month and off to the MotoGP this month. Looking at things like golf tournaments, different football matches and events I've not traditionally followed but always fancied going to see, try to get abroad to do something every couple of year maybe.

Aye I’ve been thinking of that. I went to centre court Wimbledon a year back and it’s made me want to visit major sporting venues.
Would love to do Augusta, Maddison sq Garden, St Andrews, SCG etc.

Last edited:
At 56 done all mine. Had a child who I would give my last breath for. Been to Wembley with my son, something I did not do with my dad. Heli boarding in Whistler, 193 mph on a motorbike, travelled all ower, am blessed with the best friends in the world and after two bad tries met the right woman. I'm happy.

Build a house.
Are you insane? Why? It’s as boring as owt.
If there’s any fun to be had in the building game it’s found in adapting one to your own needs with extensions, alterations, adaptations, sourcing trad materials etc. I’ve not set foot on a new build for 20yrs and hopefully nivver will again.
:lol: It's not all it's cracked up to be.
See.
I think there's a decent crossover audience for football plays so I should capitalise on it. Not going to nick your idea, honest. ;)
I did have an idea about 73 but not sure I could get it to work on stage. Think it is more suited to screen but then you get the whole trying to recreate the seventies problem.
Saw a three hander play in London a few years back called The Young Lion set in a football dressing room. Excellent it was. About a young non league player with dreams, his teams manager/coach and a grizzled old groundsman/ex player.

There’s an Aussie crime fiction book that starts in Sunderland during the 73 FA Cup Final with the match on in the background. I think the writer left the NE as a kid to move ower there with his parents. Alan somebody wrote it iirc. Twas the only reason I bought it tbh. No idea if I’ve even still got it.

With trying to recreate the 70s you’d have to keep the players in kits n tracksuits. I’m sure safc would oblige through the club shop for the publicity. Fillum down Ryhope for street shots. Down seaburn beach facing the sea as that nivver changes cos training was done on the beach every now and then back then. Borrow Goodison before it’s knocked down.
Generally limit the places secedes are held in, Tarantino managed it wonderfully in reservoir dogs. I’m sure the Fulwell73 boys would be interested.

My great unwritten novel requires a scene in which a modern crowded sports stadium is essential. May as well be the SOL.

Last edited:
Are you insane? Why? It’s as boring as owt.
If there’s any fun to be had in the building game it’s found in adapting one to your own needs with extensions, alterations, adaptations, sourcing trad materials etc. I’ve not set foot on a new build for 20yrs and hopefully nivver will again.

See.

Saw a three hander play in London a few years back called The Young Lion set in a football dressing room. Excellent it was. About a young non league player with dreams, his teams manager/coach and a grizzled old groundsman/ex player.

There’s an Aussie crime fiction book that starts in Sunderland during the 73 FA Cup Final with the match on in the background. I think the writer left the NE as a kid to move ower there with his parents. Alan somebody wrote it iirc. Twas the only reason I bought it tbh. No idea if I’ve even still got it.

With trying to recreate the 70s you’d have to keep the players in kits n tracksuits. I’m sure safc would oblige through the club shop for the publicity. Fillum down Ryhope for street shots. Down seaburn beach facing the sea as that nivver changes cos training was done on the beach every now and then back then. Borrow Goodison before it’s knocked down.
Generally limit the places secedes are held in, Tarantino managed it wonderfully in reservoir dogs. I’m sure the Fulwell73 boys would be interested.

My great unwritten novel requires a scene in which a modern crowded sports stadium is essential. May as well be the SOL.

I would have the football as a background theme.

Bloke has booked his wedding up for 5 May 1973 and spent a fair bit of dosh on it, cos never in a million years did he think Sunderland would get to the FA cup final.

I've started a bit of a sporting one, aiming for a couple of events a year. Went to the F1 last month and off to the MotoGP this month. Looking at things like golf tournaments, different football matches and events I've not traditionally followed but always fancied going to see, try to get abroad to do something every couple of year maybe.

There's some glorious cricketing venues around the world.

I'm aiming to travel around the world overland/sea.
Whats your planned route?I tried to follow the old silk route back from Hong Kong,but ended up killing time in Islamabad waiting for my Iranian visa till iran decided they weren't giving UK citizens transit visas.

I've read it. It's a decent book even without the Sunderland connection.

Got a couple projects to get out of the way but going to give some serious thought to a Sunderland/Football related play. The 73 based film might have to wait for a while.

Writing a short play at the minute loosely linked to the miner's strike and Thatcher and I'm beginning to wish I'd gone the football route instead. :lol:

Not keen on the idea. To paraphrase, "Life is what happens while you're making a bucket list".
Took me about 10 mins. I appreciate it’s not for everybody but regularly I spend a few minutes prioritising things I want/need to do in a working day, working week, a weekend or a year. This is just prioritising the things I want to do in life to make sure they get done. Otherwise (for me T least) I’s Just amble along, get to 70 (if I am lucky) and think “shit, what happened there?”

Back