BSE

Wasn’t the UK one of the few countries to actually admit it had a problem, so the French decided to ban British products despite them having just as large a problem?
Yep. 1st case in jockland in 10 years shows the system is working.

The main cause of bse was feeding cattle which are herbivores meat and bone meal as a source of protein.
The ban was so complete on the meal that when we had pigs which are omnivores we had to switch from a fishmeal protein to soya so the guy that came in to mill our feed ration diddnt have any traces of fish meal on his machine.

Last edited:
We haven't eaten red meat since the first scare. What with cows producing harmful gases, it may the start of the reduction in red meat consumption. Not judging or anything, people's own choices.

My mate bought a house in Sunderland from a lady who's husband had died of CJD. I don't remember his death being reported but if there was really as few as 177 nationwide you would have thought it might.

IIRC a government "expert " :lol: told Paxman he expected 250,000 a year to die from CJD. That figure was revised to 20,000 a year and in fact the maximum who died per annum was 28.

As far as I remember there were 2 types of CJD.
The original variant had been around for decades and claimed quite a few victims every year.
The new variant was the one that was linked with BSE so the proven figures could well be right.

My ex had a family member who died from the original variant in 1998 - her relatives had the compensation as good as spent when they were politely informed that they were getting sod all as it was the wrong type of CJD

This is freaking me out. I haven’t been feeling well lately so I googled the symptoms and they match the effects of BSE/CJD in humans :lol:
I’m 36 and spent my first 30 years in the uk. I’m gonna end up as a f***ing statistic, I just know it

As far as I remember there were 2 types of CJD.
The original variant had been around for decades and claimed quite a few victims every year.
The new variant was the one that was linked with BSE so the proven figures could well be right.

My ex had a family member who died from the original variant in 1998 - her relatives had the compensation as good as spent when they were politely informed that they were getting sod all as it was the wrong type of CJD
I thought it took like 30 years to show effects

This is freaking me out. I haven’t been feeling well lately so I googled the symptoms and they match the effects of BSE/CJD in humans :lol:
I’m 36 and spent my first 30 years in the uk. I’m gonna end up as a f***ing statistic, I just know it

I thought it took like 30 years to show effects

Given that the average age of the people who died from vCJD was around 25 I would say it probably took considerably less time to show effects

Back