Bruce Springsteen

For a non Bruce fan I would not start with Nebraska. Try one track to get a feel - State Trooper.

Reason - its a paired down, home recorded album of demos essentially - meant for band but for a lot of reasons didn't make it.

I would go.......

1 Born In The USA - full of hits - accessible huge seller
2 Born to Run - its got "that" track and a kinda wall of sound feel
3 Magic - post Iraq album some brilliant tear jerkers if you are in the right mood.

I like em all but this is just my view and no doubt people will disagree.

Then try Nebraska,

@mux
@chriswallace85 - interested in your opinion

For a non Bruce fan I would not start with Nebraska. Try one track to get a feel - State Trooper.

Reason - its a paired down, home recorded album of demos essentially - meant for band but for a lot of reasons didn't make it.

I would go.......

1 Born In The USA - full of hits - accessible huge seller
2 Born to Run - its got "that" track and a kinda wall of sound feel
3 Magic - post Iraq album some brilliant tear jerkers if you are in the right mood.

I like em all but this is just my view and no doubt people will disagree.

Then try Nebraska,

@mux
@chriswallace85 - interested in your opinion
It'll be up the thread somewhere - start with Born To Run, Darkness, and USA, and go from there.

Post #7.

Hope there's more to come from the album. That track and the last record sound like tired old man music. Understandable given his age, but he's lost something even against the wrecking ball era (although even thought that feels like two minutes ago it was actually a canny stretch back i suppose)

Hope there's more to come from the album. That track and the last record sound like tired old man music. Understandable given his age, but he's lost something even against the wrecking ball era (although even thought that feels like two minutes ago it was actually a canny stretch back i suppose)

western stars was superb imo. Can sit proudly with his best stuff.
Wrecking ball was a great album imo

it was indeed.

More fury and anger from a bloke in his early sixties (at the time released) than anyone else post Katrina/Global financial crisis.
Agreed, I don’t think the album got the recognition it deserved. Death to my Hometown is as angry a song as I’ve heard from him
western stars was superb imo. Can sit proudly with his best stuff.

it was indeed.
I really enjoyed it too. When I heard the album title I thought it was going to be symbology based on ‘stars in the sky’ etc. .
I was chuffed to actually hear the song and realise it was just about a washed up western cameo actor :D
There’s some great writing on the album, as good as anything he’s done this century

Last edited:
definitely, and This Depression is him at his melancholic best also.
When you read his autobiography it would seem the writing of that album coincided with one of his periods of depression.
It’s obviously not great for him but he would appear to write his best stuff lyrically when he’s been suffering with depression. All that prolific song writing in the early 80s came from deep within

When you read his autobiography it would seem the writing of that album coincided with one of his periods of depression.
It’s obviously not great for him but he would appear to write his best stuff lyrically when he’s been suffering with depression. All that prolific song writing in the early 80s came from deep within

I personally think that his run of work that ran from his autobiography, On Broadway, Western Stars the record then the movie was an extraordinary run. He covered all aspects of his wide spectrum magnificently.

I now hope that off the back of the album release we get a tour.

I've just picked up on that post from the quotes. I'd be interested in hearing his thoughts on what is wrong with the Born To Run and Darkness On The Edge Of Town albums.

@Dan..Dan..Dan..Dan
Probably the two albums it's hard to be critical of.

It took me ages to work out what it was about Darkness that I wasn't keen on. I bought it pre CD and obviously played side 1 then side 2. It works better as an album, IMHO, with side 1 second. It sounds extremely harsh to say, but Badlands is such a euphoric song, it sets a standard that would be almost impossible to keep up. It sits better in the middle and the other songs don't suffer by comparison. The Promised Land is a cracking album opener. If an albums perceived weakness is only the ordering of the songs, then I realise this sounds a trivial complaint.

BTR...never liked 'Night'. The rest is pretty much near perfect.

Probably the two albums it's hard to be critical of.

It took me ages to work out what it was about Darkness that I wasn't keen on. I bought it pre CD and obviously played side 1 then side 2. It works better as an album, IMHO, with side 1 second. It sounds extremely harsh to say, but Badlands is such a euphoric song, it sets a standard that would be almost impossible to keep up. It sits better in the middle and the other songs don't suffer by comparison. The Promised Land is a cracking album opener. If an albums perceived weakness is only the ordering of the songs, then I realise this sounds a trivial complaint.

BTR...never liked 'Night'. The rest is pretty much near perfect.
Darkness was my favourite Bruce album for years. Recently gravitated towards Tunnel of Love as my choice

Back