Broken ankle

I've still got metal in mine after breaking both main bones and snapping the ankle ligamanets 20 years ago. Was back playing football within a few months.
Have since done the ligaments a few times and ruptured my achilles. Never seemed the same.
Broke both of mine over the years (not at the sme time), they are never the same, especially with the ligament damage, just got to grin and bear it....

Wished I had stopped playing football after the second, as that definately didn't help either ankle....

Hope you have a better experience than me, I still suffer now....
Exactly the same here mate. My ankles are made of glass these days and ache a tad in winter.

Did mine couple week back and tore ligaments , got cabin fever stuck in house. WFH during week then junk tv glued to sofa on weekend.
Used the search tool to find couple old threads by posters who had done similar .
All seem to say physio is the difference or end up with a weakness forever . Nhs physio letter came yesterday for 3 weeks time .
Any posters been through this and did you get back to doing sports and everyday activities . My ankle still massive 😬 , going to start taking boot off in week (be 4 weeks then.)
Did mine 3 weeks ago and have a plate in my ankle now. Still in plaster.

Wfh isn't too bad but the lack of mobility is a pain.

Couple of friends horror stories of poor treatment but never broke mine just footy sprains
The ankles an amazing piece of kit ,imagine running fast and bumping into someone ,how far you would send them
In footy your ankle is stopping all the weight and energy non stop in all directions

Not my ankle but my spine. I get physio once a week private. Binned the NHS physio after the first session as they have more than one person in so keep moving about between patients. Private is one to one.

Innocuously went over on mine going out the front door. Struggled on for over a week assuming it can only be a sprain before thinking I best pop in and get this checked. Stupidly went into work too for a while until I realised someone else had done same and was laid up at home

Done mind 4-5 years ago, though was a relatively minor break with ligament damage.

Had a cast rather than a boot. Was supposed to get it off after 7 weeks but made them remove it after 5 as it did my head in. Was probably ready to come off after 4 but they refused until week 5.

Think I had 1 physio session, possibly 2. They basically gave me some exercises to do and said crack on. The exercises were useful but felt very much like they were ticking a box to say they'd showed me rather than anything else.

Think I was pretty much back to normal after 7-8 weeks. Felt some weakness for about a year afterwards but nothing that would have stopped me from doing anything, more a bit of soreness walking up and down stairs, nothing major.

Did mine couple week back and tore ligaments , got cabin fever stuck in house. WFH during week then junk tv glued to sofa on weekend.
Used the search tool to find couple old threads by posters who had done similar .
All seem to say physio is the difference or end up with a weakness forever . Nhs physio letter came yesterday for 3 weeks time .
Any posters been through this and did you get back to doing sports and everyday activities . My ankle still massive 😬 , going to start taking boot off in week (be 4 weeks then) , not really been given any plan by the hospital though
Which bone have you broken?
Broke my talus bone just over three years ago and my ankle is still fucked. Got two metal screws and wires in and around the bone.
Was getting NHS phsyio but Covid put an end to that.
Still have pins and needles/numbness in my toes, can't walk far or stand on my feet for too long, if I do I'm in agony for a good day or two. Walking downstairs is weird as havent got the range of movement.

Fingers crossed for you.

I broke mine about 7 years ago, also had ligament damage and needed a plate and 10 screws put in to fix it. It was so swollen I was in hospital for a week before the swelling went down enough for a cast to be put on.
It was a nightmare as I am a single Mam and have a severely disabled daughter to look after who I do every single thing for and my son at the time was only about 5 or 6. Trying to look after them both with a cast on and getting around on crutches was not easy but I somehow done it. My daughters stair lift certainly came in handy for getting up and downstairs!
On the bright side I didn't need or have any physio, just started walking lightly on it with my protective boot. It was really strange at first and I didn't think I'd ever learn to walk normally again, for months I was aware of every single step I took on that foot. Now though it's completely back to normal, I can't even tell it was ever broken. No weakness, pain or anything. I'd never have believed it at the time.

Last edited:
Which bone have you broken?
Broke my talus bone just over three years ago and my ankle is still fucked. Got two metal screws and wires in and around the bone.
Was getting NHS phsyio but Covid put an end to that.
Still have pins and needles/numbness in my toes, can't walk far or stand on my feet for too long, if I do I'm in agony for a good day or two. Walking downstairs is weird as havent got the range of movement.

Fingers crossed for you.
The hospital report refers to Lateral Malleolus

I broke mine about 7 years ago, also had ligament damage and needed a plate and 10 screws put in to fix it. It was so swollen I was in hospital for a week before the swelling went down enough for a cast to be put on.
It was a nightmare as I am a single Mam and have a severely disabled daughter to look after who I do every single thing for and my son at the time was only about 5 or 6. Trying to look after them both with a cast on and getting around on crutches was not easy but I somehow done it. My daughters stair lift certainly came in handy for getting up and downstairs!
On the bright side I didn't need or have any physio, just started walking lightly on it with my protective boot. It was really strange at first and I didn't think I'd ever learn to walk normally again, for months I was aware of every single step I took on that foot. Now though it's completely back to normal, I can't even tell it was ever broken. No weakness, pain or anything. I'd never have believed it at the time.
7 yrs ago?
That’s flown

Slipped when I was out hiking in the lakes on Sunday, been a bit swollen and bruised but I've been walking about the last few days. Been to hospital today and really surprised to be told it's broken, got a pot on and crutches now. Canny gutted cos I'm gunna be unable to do much cardio, and was due to go to Malaga at the end of the month and it would seem that's gunna be unlikely to happen 😓

Slipped when I was out hiking in the lakes on Sunday, been a bit swollen and bruised but I've been walking about the last few days. Been to hospital today and really surprised to be told it's broken, got a pot on and crutches now. Canny gutted cos I'm gunna be unable to do much cardio, and was due to go to Malaga at the end of the month and it would seem that's gunna be unlikely to happen 😓
Why would a broken ankle stop a holiday?

Why would a broken ankle stop a holiday?
Well I'm still hopeful of going but don't know the procedure, fracture clinic are calling me tomorrow but figured there might be issue with swelling on a plane, don't know what appointments or physio I might need to do....plus I don't really wanna go away if I've got a pot or crutches. I feel ok, so here's hoping it's well healed or I can be cleared to wear one of those moonboots and walk about.

Well I'm still hopeful of going but don't know the procedure, fracture clinic are calling me tomorrow but figured there might be issue with swelling on a plane, don't know what appointments or physio I might need to do....plus I don't really wanna go away if I've got a pot or crutches. I feel ok, so here's hoping it's well healed or I can be cleared to wear one of those moonboots and walk about.
I flew to Ireland with 2 broken bones in my foot, they gave me a cast that i could slacken off. It'll be sound.

I flew to Ireland with 2 broken bones in my foot, they gave me a cast that i could slacken off. It'll be sound.
Cheers for the reassurance, just reading some of the posts in the thread are making me a bit nervous. I'm fairly young and pretty active and fit, so hoping that helps my recovery.

Back