Broken ankle

Fletch

Striker
Did mine couple week back and tore ligaments , got cabin fever stuck in house. WFH during week then junk tv glued to sofa on weekend.
Used the search tool to find couple old threads by posters who had done similar .
All seem to say physio is the difference or end up with a weakness forever . Nhs physio letter came yesterday for 3 weeks time .
Any posters been through this and did you get back to doing sports and everyday activities . My ankle still massive 😬 , going to start taking boot off in week (be 4 weeks then) , not really been given any plan by the hospital though

After I done my ankle it was weak for about 10 years and I kept turning over on it and spraining it. Had no physio tho.

Can you not get out and about on crutches at the minute?

Did mine when I was 17, only went to a couple of physio appointments then decided I was alright. I did manage to get back into playing 5 a side a few years later but it’s never truly recovered.
Did both of mine at same time. Still hurts at times to this day. Cold knacks them.
Aye, cold or damp weather is an absolute killer.

Have a lot of pain in my hip due to the adjusted stride too

Did mine couple week back and tore ligaments , got cabin fever stuck in house. WFH during week then junk tv glued to sofa on weekend.
Used the search tool to find couple old threads by posters who had done similar .
All seem to say physio is the difference or end up with a weakness forever . Nhs physio letter came yesterday for 3 weeks time .
Any posters been through this and did you get back to doing sports and everyday activities . My ankle still massive 😬 , going to start taking boot off in week (be 4 weeks then) , not really been given any plan by the hospital though
I’ve done mine mate it’s having the chalk or boot on that does the damage as you muscle and everything seizes up and wastes away feels like you can’t put your foot flat at first but all comes good is load exercises like closing your eyes and standing on you bad leg and keeping balance

I’ve done mine mate it’s having the chalk or boot on that does the damage as you muscle and everything seizes up and wastes away feels like you can’t put your foot flat at first but all comes good is load exercises like closing your eyes and standing on you bad leg and keeping balance
This..when I did mine in 2004..when they took the chalk off the muscle wastage in my calf was unreal..i was walking with a wobble for a few months till i got the strength back in it.

As you’ve said physio is essential. I broke mine and got no physio. Almost exactly a year later I broke it again really badly she have a metal plate and 8 screws in it. The physio after that made a massive difference. I was still dubious about tackling hard and full strength kicking a ball but didn’t have any issues when I finally did.

I’ve had loads of breaks. They mend and you will be fine but it won’t be the same.

I paid for private physio for my ankle and got the whole nine yards - scans, machines that monitor how you put your foot down, various homeopathic remedies, oils, diets and most of the time it’s fine but every now and then it just rebels and knacks.

I tore ankle ligaments back in 2004 and I’ve been able to play 11aside and run marathons since.

Key for me was once the boot was off was keeping as mobile as possible and putting weight gradually on where possible. I did have a couple of paid sessions with a physio too which definitely helped and they guided me with what I could and couldn’t do.

Best of luck.

Nhs so first physio will be 5 weeks after doing it , see what they say then. Sounds crap when hear some peoples never properly recovers fully
Cheers mate , was gutted to miss everyone at weekend ,boot been on 3 weeks , gonna try take it off just for small periods in a weeks time , was never given crutches

Last edited:
I don't miss playing contact sport as was always picking up niggling injuries. Only injury I've had in the last 4 years has been shin splints.

Broke both of mine over the years (not at the sme time), they are never the same, especially with the ligament damage, just got to grin and bear it....

Wished I had stopped playing football after the second, as that definately didn't help either ankle....

Hope you have a better experience than me, I still suffer now....

Back