Broadhead.

If we’re play one up front for the whole of next season there are only just over 4000 striker mins available. Realistically that total is gonna go above 5000 up to likely no more than 6000. Assuming Stewart takes the majority of those (3-3.5k but not the 4K he got last season) we’re only likely to need 2-2.5k mins from the other two forwards. We got 1200 out of broadhead last season so getting that from him again, plus another option getting similar, will likely be plenty. And if we can make some progress on the underlying hamstring stuff, we’ll have the opposite problem - not enough minutes for the players we have.
Given the players we have/have signed, we are going to play Stewart as a lone striker it would seem - and I agree with that, he's much more effective on his own. So we are going to need a back up for him, and that might be someone like Broadhead who could also come off the bench and play in a front 2, or play from the left as well. Meaning he'll get minutes from a variety of positions.

It's pointless spending any great money on a like-for-like, direct back up for Stewart, because a) they're not going to play much, and b) an expensive player isn't going to come and sit on our bench waiting for Stewart to get injured, and c) we have more pressing ways to spend money than on substitutes. We could also loan a young CF who would have to accept a role as a sub, but again it limits the calibre.

My concern about Stewart is that he has played too much football without a meaningful break.

We overused him last season and he has been with Scotland most of the close season. There is no way he can be expected to be on his top form for another full season. We need two more goal scoring strikers.

My concern about Stewart is that he has played too much football without a meaningful break.

We overused him last season and he has been with Scotland most of the close season. There is no way he can be expected to be on his top form for another full season. We need two more goal scoring strikers.
Agreed. There is also the chance he might just not be as effective at a higher level.

That last sentence defies any sort of logic! 🙈
Not at all. An injury prone player being a backup option is where most injury prone players end up at best. He's got the quality to be 1st team but not the reliability. Also which quality forward is gonna come here and be happy to be backup other than someone like broadhead?

If Everton are using him pre season would suggest he will likely get injured unless he's been working all summer or has had a massive change of luck.

I’d be delighted if we got him back. Feel it’s much easier to put a plan in to manage injuries once they’re you’re player. A spell of bad injuries doesn’t always necessarily end up career defining. Quality wise he was probably the best at the club last season. With how clinical he is even if he plays half a season he could stick in 10 goals which would be a huge contribution.

Would want another striker aswell like. Probably on loan

I’d be delighted if we got him back. Feel it’s much easier to put a plan in to manage injuries once they’re you’re player. A spell of bad injuries doesn’t always necessarily end up career defining. Quality wise he was probably the best at the club last season. With how clinical he is even if he plays half a season he could stick in 10 goals which would be a huge contribution.

Would want another striker aswell like. Probably on loan
Me too. And if he's ours - as you say, and also in my experience, managing the player is always easier.

Back