Broadhead.

People keep saying all we've got is a squad who finished 5th in league one.. Not good enough.

Did you see our record under Alex Neil? Automatic promotion would've been a cert with Neil in from the start of the season.

This young squad that finished 5th in league one, are a year older and wider, and better! If we get Broadhead in then we don't need much more, maybe 3 more.

For what? I agree Neil would have had the squad promoted with games to spare, but a team that wins league one, isn’t automatically going to walk in and be competitive in a division higher.

Who was the last team to win league one, or the old division 2/3, keep the same team and go up again the year after?

With three players and largely the same squad as last year I reckon mid table, if I take the ref and white specs off. Even with Alex Neil who I’ve backed and who I think is brilliant and a great fit for us, I can’t see higher than tenth.

Personally I’d be happy with that to stabilise. But the squad your referring to aren’t going to suddenly become championship winners, it’s not like that. Maybe with 6 players of high standard.

People keep saying all we've got is a squad who finished 5th in league one.. Not good enough.

Did you see our record under Alex Neil? Automatic promotion would've been a cert with Neil in from the start of the season.

This young squad that finished 5th in league one, are a year older and wider, and better! If we get Broadhead in then we don't need much more, maybe 3 more.

Pretty much, if we bring in another keeper, a left back and a central midfielder I’d say we’re more or less set.

We’ll be nowhere near the likes of Norwich but a lot closer to them than say a Reading or Wigan.

Pretty much, if we bring in another keeper, a left back and a central midfielder I’d say we’re more or less set.

We’ll be nowhere near the likes of Norwich but a lot closer to them than say a Reading or Wigan.
Exactly mate. We need a backup keeper backup left back and a proper midfield player and we are done

He’s not well liked with some of our players, he’ll not even consider training unless he 100% fit in his own mind, doesn’t go down well with some players. Only my opinion but I don’t think we’ll sign him again.

Well, we’d be about par with the team that finished 5th in league one. We’ve only added one new player, need loads more!
The same team that finished fifth in league one finished top, if your take Neil's tenure in isolation.
What came before Neil doesn't matter: what Neil did was turn a team who weren't going to get promoted into a team that did.
For what? I agree Neil would have had the squad promoted with games to spare, but a team that wins league one, isn’t automatically going to walk in and be competitive in a division higher.

Who was the last team to win league one, or the old division 2/3, keep the same team and go up again the year after?

With three players and largely the same squad as last year I reckon mid table, if I take the ref and white specs off. Even with Alex Neil who I’ve backed and who I think is brilliant and a great fit for us, I can’t see higher than tenth.

Personally I’d be happy with that to stabilise. But the squad your referring to aren’t going to suddenly become championship winners, it’s not like that. Maybe with 6 players of high standard.
I honestly think that most of our players are probably better suited to the championship, where teams are actually trying to play football, than league one, where they're just spoiling, cheating and time wasting. Time will tell, I guess. We're certainly not going to win the league but I think we'll be stable.

Last edited:
In total? I think at least four. ( GK, CB, LB, CF).
Yes I agree with this if Clark & Broadhead sign and Huggins is also fit to start.

The additional 4 then required don’t necessarily need to be automatic starters either, but good competition for what we already have.

Maybe a CH….but having Batth & Wright on the bench would be a very strong batch of CH’s, if we managed to sign someone like Branthwaite.

He’s not well liked with some of our players, he’ll not even consider training unless he 100% fit in his own mind, doesn’t go down well with some players. Only my opinion but I don’t think we’ll sign him again.
Total and utter bull shit ! You ve heard about the lads reluctance regarding training when he feels he's not fit, then you invent and make up this crap about him not being liked.
Provide your evidence to support this ' made up ' nonsense.....

The same team that finished fifth in league one finished top, if your take Neil's tenure in isolation.
What came before Neil doesn't matter: what Neil did was turn a team who weren't going to get promoted into a team that did.

I honestly think that most of our players are probably better suited to the championship, where teams are actually trying to play football, than league one, where they're just spoiling, cheating and time wasting. Time will tell, I guess. We're certainly not going to win the league but I think we'll be stable.

Like I said we’d finish maybe 10-14th, but if we want more than that, we need another 6 or so. I’d take 10-14th quite happily. It’s still so much better than another year in that god awful league.

Total and utter bull shit ! You ve heard about the lads reluctance regarding training when he feels he's not fit, then you invent and make up this crap about him not being liked.
Provide your evidence to support this ' made up ' nonsense.....
THIS! What is wrong with people's lives they need to come on a footballs fans' forum and make up blatant bullshit. Get a life ffs!!
Why would you make shit like this up, its not opinion, supposition or a theory, it's utter bullshit dressed up as ITK shite. I hope the lad sues you. Go outside in the sun, give your head a shake, and look for a life you sad excuse for a Sunderland fan. Absolute embarrassment.

Last edited:
Like I said we’d finish maybe 10-14th, but if we want more than that, we need another 6 or so. I’d take 10-14th quite happily. It’s still so much better than another year in that god awful league.

I wonder how many current championship teams would definitely finish in top two in league one.

It’s impossible to answer but league one presents a very different challenge to clubs, particularly clubs attempting to play intricate football.

I wonder how many current championship teams would definitely finish in top two in league one.

It’s impossible to answer but league one presents a very different challenge to clubs, particularly clubs attempting to play intricate football.

Well let’s put it this way, how many teams get relegated, then go down and struggle? Very few. How many teams go down and come straight back up, or finish in the play offs, or come back up the next season? It happens on the regular.

Now reverse that, how many teams go up, and either struggle, or finish lower half, and take years to get to grips with it. Happens far more than the above.

There’s a reason for it.

Who is, or are, the original sources of the rumours about Broadhead's psychological issues, refusals to play/train, and being disliked by team mates?

Who is, or are, the original sources of the rumours about Broadhead's psychological issues, refusals to play/train, and being disliked by team mates?
Psychological was from something Lee Johnson said i think.

He's absolute quality though, obviously won't be paying a fee with his injuries but worth the wages on loan or a free short term contract.
Was something like, worried about getting another bad injury he'll pull out of training or pre match warmups if he feels the slightest thing, which you can sort of understand.

Last edited:
Not really, only one player different from last season minus two keepers.
Surely nailing down last season’s key players on longer or permanent contracts is progress. We’ve also signed a fantastic defender!
We cant do it all at once, big changes will unbalance a squad that can definitely compete in the bottem to mid end of the championship.
Little squad improvements to get us to 12th/14th this season should be the aim.

If we sign him, a perfect transfer window

We’d be one player down on last season still! Ballard would have replaced Doyle and that’d be it.

Some actual additions and some real quality wouldn’t go amiss. Neil did a fantastic job playing sensible, pragmatic football to turn us around last season but that was league one. We’re moving up a level and absolutely need more otherwise it’s going to be a grisly season.

Back